engine bay resto has started........

-
i talked to my buddy and he is welding up this week hopefully. my engine goes in the morning to the machine shop to have the intake to head sealing checked and shaved if need be and maybe get new cam bearings.

it has to go to paint by the following friday!

Ugh! manual steering. At least you won't have the typical leaking power steering box. Looking good so far!

Yo Steve! What up with the engine compartment? I can't wait to see what you do with it!

BTW: Did you really clean up that brake distribution block, or is it a new one? If it's cleaned up, PLEASE explain how as it looks fantastic. These are the little tid-bits (what the hell IS a "Tid" anyway...) that makes this site work.

Aside from the fact that I enjoy watching detailed work being posted, it helps out someone else whom might be asking "How do you...." a week after someone just did it. Explaination, great, pictures too? Even better. This isn't directed soley at Steve, but to everyone. If you have a technique that works for you, please post it. I just learned that crystal Draino will strip anodizing off of aluminum. Maybe everyone knows this, but I didn't until last week from a member here, Preston a.k.a. 70DUSTER440 (Thanks again).

Spread it around guys....:cheers:

Yo Steve! What up with the engine compartment? I can't wait to see what you do with it!

BTW: Did you really clean up that brake distribution block, or is it a new one? If it's cleaned up, PLEASE explain how as it looks fantastic. These are the little tid-bits (what the hell IS a "Tid" anyway...) that makes this site work.

Aside from the fact that I enjoy watching detailed work being posted, it helps out someone else whom might be asking "How do you...." a week after someone just did it. Explaination, great, pictures too? Even better. This isn't directed soley at Steve, but to everyone. If you have a technique that works for you, please post it. I just learned that crystal Draino will strip anodizing off of aluminum. Maybe everyone knows this, but I didn't until last week from a member here, Preston a.k.a. 70DUSTER440 (Thanks again).

Spread it around guys....:cheers:

i am still waiting on the holes to get welded up. it should happen this sunday.

the brake block i cleaned up. first i took it to the wire wheel(soft steel bristle) then i used metal polish to bring out the brass shine. i just did another one for a 71 charger i am building right now.

a good tip for masking odd shaped things is foil. once you use it, you'll wonder how you went without it.

to mark the hood, etc. before you remove it, and without leaving a permanent mark, i use "stabilo all" pencils from an art store. they are water soluble so it wipes off easily. its soft so it marks on glass, plastic, metal, etc.

Too bad your still waiting. You got off to a fast start, but..... er, maybe I shouldn't mention it.

I've heard of the aluminum foil trick, but the pencils are news. There's an art supply store not far from a friend of mine, whom I'll see this weekend. I'll go shopping.

Thanks Steve!

i wish my welding would suffice in this area but it won't. i am waiting for a buddy to tig it all in. so no filler, all metal.

got word today from the machine shop that the intake needed .030 off each side for it to fit right. damn that's alot!

i wish my welding would suffice in this area but it won't. i am waiting for a buddy to tig it all in. so no filler, all metal.

got word today from the machine shop that the intake needed .030 off each side for it to fit right. damn that's alot!

Hey Steve,

I filled mine with bondo and wasn't really thinking of the possibility of it ever cracking or coming out. So now I'm going into reverse and going to remove it and weld the holes. So now I'm on wait for my friend to weld them up. I'd much rather go ahead and do it now than have problems with it later with the motor in the way. Any trick I might need to know getting the welds smooth?

Marland

red, if you hold a piece of brass on the back side of your holes, you can spot weld them shut with a mig just weld slowly, a little fill each pass

Wow, Red, somebody's sure been busy!!! Nice touch on the distribution block too. Don't hesitate to ask if there's any of that I can help you out with (hint hint LOL!).

Wow, Red, somebody's sure been busy!!! Nice touch on the distribution block too. Don't hesitate to ask if there's any of that I can help you out with (hint hint LOL!).

leann, i would love to send some biz your way! i just don't have anything to powdercoat right now! for work related, unfortunately, most guys around here go to the powdercoaters themselves locally and pick out the colors. i bet your work is as good or better from the responses on here.

got the motor back from the machine shop, cleaned it, and got it ready for paint. intake was shaved .030, and we used a .050 head gasket(thanks for the tip, monte).

i also got everything welded up, just need some finishing before going in for paint.

DSC01530 (Small).JPG

DSC01538 (Small).JPG

DSC01497 (Small).JPG

DSC01498 (Small).JPG

DSC01522 (Medium).JPG

DSC01524 (Medium).JPG

That turned out good.

Did you have to do much grinding to get the welds smooth? I would like to have seen it before you primed it.

That turned out good.

Did you have to do much grinding to get the welds smooth? I would like to have seen it before you primed it.

yes i did. i know i should have taken pics before grinding. it was all tig'd in so we didn't create alot of sparks.

yes i did. i know i should have taken pics before grinding. it was all tig'd in so we didn't create alot of sparks.

I'm really not sure how my friend is going to weld the holes. I sure don't want a bigger hole than what's already there. LOL!

I hope he can get to it soon but he has a lot on his plate.

I removed the body filler from the holes and found that it came out way to easily. I'm glad that I'm going to weld them up.

well the car left yesterday for the body shop:cheers: and now at the end of the day its got paint!!!!! the rims and fender tag got done too!! it still isn't 100% finished, but it will be back in my hands maybe monday afternoon.

here is some before and after.

monday isn't soon enough.............

DSC01554 (Medium).JPG

DSC01556 (Medium).JPG

DSC01557 (Medium).JPG

DSC01558 (Medium).JPG

DSC01559 (Medium).JPG

DSC01560 (Medium).JPG

DSC01561 (Medium).JPG

DSC01563 (Medium).JPG

Looking GOOD! Nothing like progress.... which is what I'm going to attempt this weekend.

Keep us posted !

Wow! That is just awesome!

I can't wait until mine gets sprayed. I got the 360 Wedensday and my friend that is going to weld up some holes is MIA. lol.

Wow Steve, your paint shop is really quick!!! Congrats on all the progress lately ... it's going to be sweeeeeeeet! (Looks like you go through as much Reynolds Wrap -- aka high tech metal protector -- as I do ... we need to buy stock or something.)

Wow Steve, your paint shop is really quick!!! Congrats on all the progress lately ... it's going to be sweeeeeeeet! (Looks like you go through as much Reynolds Wrap -- aka high tech metal protector -- as I do ... we need to buy stock or something.)

foil is the greatest for masking odd shaped things. i could by stock...........8)

Absolutely! Easy to work with, molds to anything, my high temp tape sticks like a dream, and it keeps that powder out of everywhere it doesn't need to be. These are some wayyyy old school Larsen Engineering valve covers I'm going to shoot tomorrow ... couldn't be done right without my foil! LOL

-
Back