engine bearings

-

71Scamper

Mopar runs thru my veins!
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice on engine bearings. Here's what i'm putting together:

340 .030 trw flat tops, calculated at 9.8:1 comp.
polished "489" rods, 10/10 stock forged crank
some minor oiling mods to improve volume w/ a melling HV pump.
"X" heads, port and polished
air gap with either a 440 TQ or an 800 cfm street demon (have both but not decided yet what to run)
Comp roller cam XR268HR
R-154 5-speed conversion, 3.55 SG

Keep in mind, this is going into a car I plan on driving on the street and take to the dragway every other weekend. When I say on the street, I mean it will be on the street but i'll be beating the crap out of it :D. This is my toy car!

Now I've built many chevy 350 street motors, a few ford 302's, but never a Chrysler. Those engines I just used Clevite 77's and never had a problem. I'm figuring some regular replacement bearings should work out fine but I've never done a Chrysler engine before and am not sure if others have found better bearings for this type of application. I was considering using some Sealed Power bearings. A racing buddy suggested the MA series for the mains and the CH series for the rods? Enlighten me please!!

I have always used the cleviate 77s with no trouble and I go with 3 thos.clearance on the crank all the way thru (im sure you will get other opinions on that)and I always put extra clearance around the pistons I'm a firm believer in lose motors a loose motor won't were out and as soon as its tuned its race ready.....and im sure you wont turn them any harder then I have...yeeeeeeeeah.ant nothing sounds like a big block mopar at 7500:cheers:hope this helps.....Artie

I used to have complete confidence in Clevite. Now, not so much. Had major problems with my friend's 383. The Clevite main bearings were incorrectly sized on the upper shell of #3, like off by .004" on the OD. You could spin the bearing shell in the bore. Tried two sets, both the same. Block was line honed and measured correct. Bought a set of Federal Mogul bearings, they went right in and were perfect.

I used to have complete confidence in Clevite. Now, not so much. Had major problems with my friend's 383. The Clevite main bearings were incorrectly sized on the upper shell of #3, like off by .004" on the OD. You could spin the bearing shell in the bore. Tried two sets, both the same. Block was line honed and measured correct. Bought a set of Federal Mogul bearings, they went right in and were perfect.

were the bearings you used the Federal Mogul stock replacements or were they the Speed-Pro's that are made by Federal Mogul?

were the bearings you used the Federal Mogul stock replacements or were they the Speed-Pro's that are made by Federal Mogul?

I would have to double-check the part number. I have it at home. I had done a bunch of research online and got the part number from someone on that other Mopar forum that had the same problem.

-
Back