engine block decoding

-

musclermndart

Reaction score
i have a 67 gtx oringal 440 car i just purchased recently but not the oringal motor ... this i s the casting number on the block if any one could tell me what kind of motor this is and if its possible what it came out off i would grately appricate it 24681801

thanks for the help guys... any way to find what this came out of above the casting number was 8 8 70 which i beleive to be the date is there any other markings to tell where the motor came from

It is probably a '71 engine because of that casting date. There will be a machined pad on the block just above the oil pan rail. There is a good possibilty that a VIN number is stamped there and this will tell you what car it came out off.

Chuck

i have a 67 gtx oringal 440 car i just purchased recently but not the oringal motor ... this i s the casting number on the block if any one could tell me what kind of motor this is and if its possible what it came out off i would grately appricate it 24681801

I think you'll find that block number is actually 2468130 which makes it a 383. If it doesn't have the machined flat pad on top of the block, on drivers side front with either E or F 440 stamped on it look for a angled machined pad just under the distributor and if it's a 1970 383 it'll be stamped F 383 or E for 69and so on.

Terry

-
Back