engine cleaner help. and suggestions please

-

63VALIANT*KISS

Reaction score
my car is a daily driver so i want to use a cleaner like the foamy or something like that that isnt harsh enough to mess with gaskets as i want to clean the intake manifold while its on and dont want to wreck nething well im there and how would i get it off with the dist there water? please help

Simple Green is about as aggressive as I would go, or the spray can stuff from Gunk. Avoid any of the "purple" type cleaners, they are primarily sodium hydroxide (lye) and will attack aluminum.

A coat of paint on that intake would help a lot.

yea so basicly like household degreesers and i have the gunk engine brite degreeser its not to harsh? i wanna do this the next good day we have here.

when i used to recondition used cars , i would get the engine bay wet , then spray with citrus cleaner, let stand about 10 minutes, and hose off. granted the cars were usually less than 5 years old, so it did a great job on them. at home i use simple green (same method) and it does pretty good. i have tried stronger degreasers and have found that it ruins the engine paint by fading. i usually just get a plastic shopping bag and wrap it around the distributer the best i can.

I use mineral spirits with an old paint brush then rinse with hot water.

ok i think i got it the intake isnt that dirty in the first place i jhust need it clean if ima paint it . i babyed my paint last night and let evreything sit in the house and dry over night thats how bad the weather is here lol

I would just get something along the lines of Simple Green or Citrus something or other. Somehting that is safe for the environment and a nice little scrub brush and go to the car wash. Just make sure you bring something along to dry out the distributor cap. Then just wet it and spray it down scrub really good then where you can get with a brush use the pressure.

I use "Oil Eater". Available at Kragen's. Takes the grease off and leaves aluminum looking new.

well after starting this thread went out and got some l.a.'s totally awesome orange degreeser worked. took 2 bottles for the water pump and front of block and the grill and rad but it looks nice not all nice but at least clean.

Another thing that works well on an engine that is already fairly clean is spray tire cleaner foam. It won't remove heavy grease but will take off a mild film. It leaves rubber and plastic nicely detailed, and offers some protection against future crud. I use this on my 2005 Jeep.

I use westlys white wall cleaner, simple green and that castrol super clean or something like that, it's the purple stuff. I spray it in, let it sit for a few minutes then use a scrub brush on everything. Then rinse real well and repeat if needed,

-
Back