Engine compartment wire identification

-

JAndrea

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 1969 Barr project car was originally a manual 318 with AC. The original wiring harness is 100% intact, but a previous owner sprayed the compartment and all wiring with grey. I’ve got almost everything ID’d, connected, and tested... except the two wires shown in the pic. Both wires, I’m pretty sure, were black.

My wiring diagrams don’t show anything in this area, so pretty stumped by these. My diagrams don’t show any AC components, but a can’t think these wires would have anything to do with that.

I’m going to replace the engine harness soon, but for now, the wiring is in excellent shape, considering.

C3E30FB0-72DE-4DB1-B961-3441B94D102C.jpeg

Is one of them blue, if so it would be the compressor clutch (G contact thru firewall)
If the other is green it is the blower motor (E contact thru firewall)

This is based on 67 classiccarwiring. Com (everyone should have one) diagram

Sorry... forgot to mention. The 318 is long gone, and what I have now is a 1977 MH 440 installed. Will not be running AC.

I do have an 11x17 laminated color coded diagram, but no AC on it.

Is one of them blue, if so it would be the compressor clutch (G contact thru firewall)
If the other is green it is the blower motor (E contact thru firewall)

This is based on 67 classiccarwiring. Com (everyone should have one) diagram

One looks black, and possibly the other is dark blue.

I dug up my other diagrams too. Would there have been a windshield washer motor in this area? Lots of windshield washer hoses still routed around the area, but if a pump existed it’s long gone as well. The FSM diagram does show a washer motor here.

Washer pump on driver's side inner fender well

IMG_20200505_214443.jpg

Brown wire from harness to washer pump.

15887370945022183965929903407553.jpg

Really I would assume that the AC compressor wires would run on the passenger side of the engine harness, along with the temp sender etc. But I'm just guessing.

View attachment 1715522843
Brown wire from harness to washer pump.

View attachment 1715522844
Really I would assume that the AC compressor wires would run on the passenger side of the engine harness, along with the temp sender etc. But I'm just guessing.

that has to be it... I think AC wiring would be on the other side as well. I’m pretty sure I have the compressor wire labeled correctly on the pass side... I think it’s a green wire that goes all the way up front.

yeah.. my diagram like yours doesn’t show the pump, but the FSM does.

I think I’m good to go. Thanks all

12E2DE68-BBF5-46A8-993A-5BD30E38C362.jpeg

6B2C4480-4C5D-4226-8BEB-CA9F78A2C090.jpeg

Last edited:
Look at the connector coming off of J then a fusable link then a single inline connector. I think that is one of them. I don't think the other is the washer pump

Yep, I would say hood mounted turn signals...

Ahhh... would never have thought of that... and it’s right there on the diagram... and why both are black. I’ll give that a test. My original hood is gone as well, but I didn’t even know there was such a thing on these. Crazy how you can study these diagrams and not see something that’s right there. Thanks!

To use them you will need the indicators and the wire running through the hood re-inforcement to connect. The factory removed the indicator bulbs from the circuit board when you had this option.

-
Back