engine component painting question

-

theothergarth

Reaction score
Before I put the fresh motor back in the engine bay, a paint job is in order. I pretty much know what I am going to do color scheme wise, but have a question. I plan on leaving the water pump and aluminum intake the stock aluminum look. Will the metal stain/discolor if it is left untreated? Should I use a clear coat of some type?

leaving them bare will discolor over time, you can have them powdercoated... or paint them a silver and put clear over them. I normally start with an etching primer, then paint color so it lasts longer.... I would be worried about adhesion if I just put a clear over them

Unless your water pump is rebuildable (most aren't), it shouldn't be powder coated -- the seals / impeller bearings inside won't survive the heat. Your intake surely can though, and they look terrific for many years.

One thing to keep in mind if you decide to just clear the parts is that some of the commercial spray clears on the market tend to yellow over time, so do some research before you commit to the first thing you see on the parts store shelf. I've never claimed to be a painter and won't start now, but these guys on the forum could certainly point you in the right direction.

-
Back