Engine Crane Boom Upgrade

-

PROSTOCKTOM

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
After fighting with an engine crane boom that's been 7"-8" to short for years I decided to make a new one. My problem has been with the engine crane legs beveled outward and the engine stand I like to us also having the legs beveled outward it makes it impossible to get the chain hook centered over the block with these two pieces of equipment. The original boom extension is only a 2ft. long piece of 2-1/2" x 3-1/2" 3/16" wall tubing. I've had the tube slide out so far that only 3" were inside the outer tube. Not safe at all, and still not far enough out for what I need it to be. I looked all over town and no one had this size tubing in stock, so I ended up ordering a piece off of Shapiro Metal Supply in St. Louis, MO. However they were advertising the metal I wanted cheaper on eBay than they were on their company website.

I ended up buying a 4 ft. piece of 2-1/2" x 3-1/2" .250" wall for less money than I could buy 3/16" wall tube anywhere else by $20.00 less.
Material ($89.76), sales tax ($9.36), and shipping ($44.00) Grand total $143.12 Steel Rectangular Tube - 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" x .250" x 48" | eBay

Now I might have to use some counterbalance on the other end of the crane depending on how far I need to pull it out.

I've never liked how most engine crane booms just have the chain hanging out of the tube, so I decided I was going to make this one a lot nicer looking. I cut a bevel on the bottom and then radiused out the corners. While I was at it I bought a 3/8" 316 Stainless Steel Jaw-Jaw Boat Anchor Swivel off of eBay for $15.00
3/8" 316 Stainless Steel Boat Anchor Connector Swivel Jaw - Jaw WLL 1,870 lb | eBay
It's rated working load is 1870# and breaking load of 7480# so it should be more than adequate for the intended use I need it for. Then I realized I needed to keep the chain centered and not wanting to take the time to machine some spacers I used some 3/8" stainless steel AN washers to accomplish that job. While I was at it I upgraded the bolt from a Grade 5 to a Grade 8 because the original bolt was to short to use a Nylock nut on. I still need to figure out spacers for inside the tube to keep the top of the chain centered, but I'll find something to use in there. Now all that's left is drop off the tube at the powder coaters and I'll be ready to start using this crane without the frustrations I've dealt with for years. If you've been in this boat, or are now in this boat here's the solution for you.

Tom

20240411_191149.jpg

20240411_191201.jpg

20240411_194650.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve had to do the same and used 45 lb weights on the back of the hoist to act as a counterbalance. My problem was the hydraulic cylinder hitting the headed panel on my cuda before getting the chain and hook over the carburetor hole lift plate.

Worth mentioning (to those that may not know) for safetys sake..... make sure you dont boom out too far..... if the center of gravitys relation to the front casters is not preserved as designed, then you've made a potentially dangerous cherry picker. The closer you get to max load, the more likely to flip foward at low lift ( horizontal boom).

I agree. I had to put a lot of weight on the back ((150?) because the back casters were lifting when I lifted the engine. I would like to have a cherry picker that wouldn’t require that. I’ve been looking at the gantry crane at Horrible Freight and pondering building my own with I-beams I have at my disposal.
It would be nice to have wheelie bars on the cherry picker!

I extended the boom on my Garbage Freight hoist as the piston would hit the bumper such that the chain was at an angle to attach to the carb plate. I think these cranes were designed for FWD cars. Ya the crane tends to tip forward which requires a counter weight, me....definitely can be dangerous. You always need to be careful when pulling an engine. Always best to have someone helping for safety sake!

I got busy this afternoon and made a set of spacers out of Delrin, but didn't like the gap, so I made another set. Got that issue taken care of. Now just waiting on the powder coater to call me to come pick it up.

Tom

20240412_175943.jpg

20240412_200304.jpg

Got less than 43 hr. service over the weekend from the powder coater. Dropped it off at 4pm Saturday and he called me at 10:30am this morning that it was ready.

Boom is now installed and ready to use. I am going to cut a counterweight out of some 1.00" steel plate tomorrow.

Already picked up a 440 block and the engine stand with the boom extended way out and I still couldn't pickup the back of the crane with me trying. So far so good.

Tom

20240415_173619.jpg

20240415_173627.jpg

Last edited:
94A6032B-E663-4DF5-9DE5-EF41A9FFFADF.jpeg

Small crane mod to a hitch receiver. Works on gravel, hills, and is very adjustable. Breaks down into two parts; stores small and portable. The counterbalance is prolly over 4000# however! $90 Craigslist find when I finally gave up on using trees.

-
Back