engine cutting out down track after in 3rd gear!

-
Another thing... when I'm adjusting the idle mixture I can't seem to get all the roughness out of the idle.. not talking about the cam chop but seems like it has a inconsistent roughness to the idle like it's not quite right and can't seem to clean it up with the mixture screws

Look down into the carb at idle. Are the boosters dripping fuel?

Be sure your floats are adjusted correctly before you start trying to tune on the carb.

Update on the engine. Checked the floats and they are fine. Timing set at 34 total. Even changed plugs. No change. Still cuts out and won't pull hard from around 4700-6200 . This doesn't make since to me!! You can be going 40mph floor it and your completely sideways trying to keep it in the road. But when your actually pulling its not running right. And on the idle I worked on it for a while trying to adjust the carb to get it to idle lower. Timing set at 20 at idle I can get it to idle around 1200 and in gear just a little over 1000 but no lower. Just won't do it. Pulls around 9.5 to 10 inches vac at 1200rpm in neutral. I'm just stumped on this cutting out crap. What is going on!! I'm going to jet up the secondary side and see if that helps. I still haven't ran it with the rev limiter turned off yet either.

FWIW, a repost of #14:
==========================================
I had the exact same problem with my Carter high flow mechanical fuel pump. 1 & 2 pulled great, but as it shifted to 3rd, the sustained RPM's overdrove the fuel pump, which raised the pressure enough to overcome the float pressure on the needle valves in the carb, and the engine would flood. The Air/Fuel ratio just kept getting richer until is suddenly went to 0, which is 100% fuel, LOL.

I put on a good quality regulator, and keep the pressure around 5 psi, and problem solved. I am running a Thermoquad, which is a little more sensitive to fuel pressure that the Holley.
===========================================

You need to KNOW your fuel pressure at WOT in 3rd gear!!!

-
Back