Engine does when backing up...

-

7duster4

Reaction score
I have never heard of this happening before. But this happened a few times while at the nats this weekend. When backing in the parking spot at the hotel I would have the steering wheel all the way turned while in reverse. As I was backing in the spot it started idleing funny then just quit. Fired right up put it in reverse after a couple seconds same thing happened. This only went on at the hotel. Not at the car show or any place else since I have owned the car. I thought it was very strange. Acted fine when in drive though. Almost as if something is being pinched when turning the wheel. It's power steering with a 318 auto. Also has an aftermarket "tuff" wheel if that matters. Anyone have this happen before??

Any info is appreciated, thanks

This happens with older carbed cars with accessories. If the powersteering pump or box has any problems it might take a little more fluid or less and stall out the motor thru the drive belt being the car is probably only at idle in gear. Try this. Remake the scenario and listen to the car now that you know it might do it again and listen to the difference when you hold the steering to the locks.

This happens with older carbed cars with accessories. If the powersteering pump or box has any problems it might take a little more fluid or less and stall out the motor thru the drive belt being the car is probably only at idle in gear. Try this. Remake the scenario and listen to the car now that you know it might do it again and listen to the difference when you hold the steering to the locks.

I checked my ps fluid and all was good. I took it out tonight. When backing out of the driveway everything was fine. But when I got up to the car show and backed in my spot, started idleing real choppy then I feathered it some gas so it wouldn't stall. But it sure wanted to quit.

On the way home I was at a dead stop at a light. In "D" with the brakes applied. Started idleing very choppy and low then just quit. Fired right back up did it again. Started fine then the light changed and the rpm's smoothed out once I gave it gas.

When I got home I put it in reverse and turned the wheel, of course nothing happens since I'm trying to get it to stall. Ideling is smooth and everything. So I'm stumped on this one. Any other ideas??

Thanks for the above info. Anything helps.

-
Back