Engine Driven Fan?

-

coalman

Reaction score
What is the maximum distance the front of the fan should be from radiator for proper cooling? Or is there such a dimension? Thanks

My STOCK 67 dart 273 2bbl automatic has about 1.5 inches to the rad. Stock, no shroud.

Technically the closer the better BUT that also Increases the chance of taking out the radiator if the engine shifts due to a broken eng and or trans mount

(Edited to correct distance to rad.)

Last edited:
happy to help. as to engine shifting, if you have a shroud, the fan could be farther away from the radiator...just in case.

My STOCK 67 dart 273 2bbl automatic has about 2 to 2 1/2 inches to the rad. Stock no shroud.

Technically the closer the better BUT that also Increases the chance of taking out the radiator if the engine shifts due to a broken eng and or trans mount

Interesting, what is the length and number of blades, also does your car have A/C? Thanks

no AC, 17" IIRC, 7 blades, fixed no thermal clutch

remember that cooling is more than number of blades and diameter. Pitch is huge!

also the pulley diameters, the radiator, etc.

Found an old photo. Looks like the leading edge of the fan is closer to 1.5 inches to the rad.

20190202_175154.jpg

Last edited:

remember that cooling is more than number of blades and diameter. Pitch is huge!

Found an old photo. Looks like the leading edge of the fan is closer to 1.5 inches to the rad.

View attachment 1715828332

Yes, I agree on what you are saying.

View attachment 1715828332

actually that looks like a 213 fan, 1.75 pitch which was the least pitch of the 7 blade fans. The greatest pitch 7 blade fan was 2.5 pitch.

The real question should be where the fan sits in the opening of the fan shroud. Can't understand why anyone would build a street car without a fan shroud...

I am going to add another question about these fans, how were they balanced? Thanks

-
Back