engine help

-

moparman1

Reaction score
can anyone tell me what size engine this is,4006830-360-2 . its a 1975 engine. I was told it was a 318 not a 360.

Its a 360, hence the 360 in the serial that is cast in the side of the block...

Who said that?? That's how you identify mopar small blocks is by the casting number on the front right side of the block...

Then he is using the wrong mechanic LoL That's really the only way to tell what a mopar small block is without opening it up... you find a field job or junkyard job you look at the front right side of the block by the exhaust manifold to find out what it it

haha cant believe he thought it was a 318. Heck $100 for a 360 block is a pretty good price imo.

Not quite. Unless it's one of the M-body cop car 318s, the exhaust ports on the 360 are larger. Oil pans are also different. Check diameter of front main bearing with the balancer off. If carb is on motor and a Carter 2bbl it's a 318, the 360s used Holleys. The 360s, if it had a 4 bbl was a Thermoquad. The M-body cop car had a Quadrajet on the 318.

all SB's also have the c.i. stamped right below the Block Deck on the

drivers side.......:read2:...visible right under the front edge of the cylinder head....might have to scrap oil sludge off or sand a little bit but its there!

Not quite. Unless it's one of the M-body cop car 318s, the exhaust ports on the 360 are larger. Oil pans are also different. Check diameter of front main bearing with the balancer off. If carb is on motor and a Carter 2bbl it's a 318, the 360s used Holleys. The 360s, if it had a 4 bbl was a Thermoquad. The M-body cop car had a Quadrajet on the 318.

Sorry man but I respectfully disagree. No 318 ever had 360 cast onto the side of it. You are correct about 360's having larger ports but they also had larger intake ports. Your also correct about the oil pan and carbs.

Moparman1 you definitely have a 360 there. You can also verify it by what Prine said about the cubic inch being stamped into the front of the block right below where the drivers side head mounts to. This is a stamping done with number punches though unlike the one on the side that is a raised casting.

-
Back