engine help

-

hamsterhats

Reaction score
My 318 is running extremely rough. There is a huge hesitation when accelerator is depressed. I thought that a good starting point would be to check the psi of each cylinder. Oh yeah, when started, puffs blue smoke for a couple of seconds. Any suggestion appreciated!

Sounds like you are burning oil. You might find a fouled plug while you are testing the compression.
C

Compression should be around 125-130 PSI. Unhook the vacuum line from the distributor and plug it. Hook up a timing light and see where the timing marks are at idle. If it looks like the marks are moving around, chances are you need a timing chain. This is a common problem with LAs that have 60-70 thousand miles on the clock. The puffs of blue smoke are probably worn valve stem seals.

awesome info, gonna check everything after a mid afternoon nap!

do i have to check compression in the firing order? How can i make sure that my engine is a 318? The previous owner didn't sound too sure, the markings on the scoops say 340.

Don't need to check comp in any real order but write the #'s down and what cylinder for future reference.

If you scrape away the oil/dirt/paint on the front of the block below the drivers side cylinder head you'll see the #'s & cubic inch.

-
Back