Engine hoist rust

-

Evan Dutch

Reaction score
Hey guys

I’ve noticed some rust on the piston rod of the hydraulic ram on my engine hoist. I know if it gets too bad it’ll destroy the seals. What’s the best way to clean this off? Steel wool? Scotch brite?

thanks

47992442-0232-47E5-A9BB-F1B05E0E6EC7.jpeg

555F9BDD-ED1A-4B4F-BB0C-0F002092E3A3.jpeg

You don't want to see mine if that bothers you! Lol still works perfectly fine but its rough. Iv had it close to 20 years and its spent its whole life outside lol

It’s generally a good idea to keep the ram wiped down with the same fluid used in the jack. In most cases that’ll be something like 5606. That should put a stop to any corrosion going forward.

It’s generally a good idea to keep the ram wiped down with the same fluid used in the jack. In most cases that’ll be something like 5606. That should put a stop to any corrosion going forward.

I put whatever jack fluid they had at the closest auto parts store. I think it was bars oil

Mine stays outside 24/7 and stays down when not in use. It has stains on it but is still smooth. I've had an engine hanging on it for several months and it never budged, so it's not losing fluid. If it bothers you, just wipe it off with some penetrating oil or "some such".

You can clean it up with 0000# steel wool, just do it lightly. Wipe it down with ATF and when you store it, leave the ram inside of the cylinder. That way the ram isn't left exposed to the elements.

Edited to add: You can use some crocus cloth if you have that on hand as well.

Last edited:

Even better to store it with the ram collapsed if you can like Tinmannz mentioned.

Mine stays outside 24/7 and stays down when not in use. It has stains on it but is still smooth. I've had an engine hanging on it for several months and it never budged, so it's not losing fluid. If it bothers you, just wipe it off with some penetrating oil or "some such".
Yep. This is common with us up north with snow plows. My plow sits out year round with exposed ram cylinders. I just spray some WD40 on them if I remember and have never had an issue. Whatever the wiper seals are made of sure cleans the rust off after a few cycles back and forth LOL

-
Back