Engine ID by color!

-

gdrill

I AM
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK, I have a weird one here. Has anyone seen a yellow small block seemingly original? I have found an engine in a truck that is advertised as a 313 (poly). It is not as the picture shows. It is an LA engine in place where a poly should have been. It was very tough to determine the intake numbers but after searching for hours I have determined them to be 3830945. This could be a 1978 318 4bbl or 75-78 360 4bbl according to many lists I've found. OK, whats the deal you ask? The engine is interesting as it has chrome aftermarket valve covers on it. These were available on Lil red expresses, but I think those had wire tabs on them. Then the engine is yellow. Ok, anybody could have painted it, but after searching the casting number I come up with a thread, on FABO, that has the same intake.....and it is yellow as well. So, I am considering going to look at this truck, a couple hours away, to see if this could be an E58 engine or something similar, but the color has me wondering. Both painted yellow by chance? Very well could be. Industrial? But with chrome covers put on?
This is a link to the thread that I found the intake of the same color and a pic of the engine in question. Has anybody ever seen a yellow engine? Perhaps in a combine or on a water pump even.

[WANTED] - 360 Intake Manifold #3830945

IMG_20131121_175612.jpg

$_59.jpg

This what I have found. I just wondered because the engine is in Alberta, Canada, and that intake was in California. Figured the odds of both being painted the same were low!

The only original yellow Chrysler engine I have seen in person was a 1950s Hemi. The valve covers said INDUSTRIAL & it was in an old tow-behind job site air compressor.

The only original yellow Chrysler engine I have seen in person was a 1950s Hemi. The valve covers said INDUSTRIAL & it was in an old tow-behind job site air compressor.
Never knew that. Do you remember the shade of yellow? The manifold pic almost looks like leftover Caterpillar yellow paint.

I asked him to climb under and get the casting numbers. He did. It is simply a 318. I will still go look at the truck, but I was hoping it had a 360 in it. It is a 1964 300. Quite the truck!

It does look like caterpillar yellow, or state road or school bus!

Interesting, that 360 intake has yellow paint under the EGR valve port, as if it was painted yellow before assembly. I would think if it were painted later in a Industrial situation it would be blue under the yellow. So in my opinion it was never blue and was yellow when assembled from the factory.

-
Back