Engine ID help

-

73Dart340Sport

73dart340
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Good evening,

I have a 1973 340 dart sport that I’ve owned since 1975. Im pretty sure that I have the original block and crank. The numbers on the left side of the block are 2780930-340-5. I understood that mopar used to stamp the vehicles last 6 of the vin on the block as well however they are not stamped on this block as far as I can tell. I’ve had the engine out twice, but didn’t notice anything above the pan rail. Was Mopar still stamping the last 6 digits of the vin in 1973, or had they done away with that by 73 on the less valuable cars?

Not on the pan rail on a small block they are on the front of the block just below the left head

Pass side oil pan rail there should be a flat pad. As cudascott said there are also stampings on ds, just below where head mounts. Those aren't the vin tho.

Pass side oil pan rail there should be a flat pad. As cudascott said there are also stampings on ds, just below where head mounts. Those aren't the vin tho.
Thanks Steve I’m a big block guy so I’m kinda dumb when it comes to small block numbers.

Not dumb bud, those #'s you mentioned are important as well!
Thanks Steve I’m a big block guy so I’m kinda dumb when it comes to small block numbers.

20231214_213142.jpg

Not on the pan rail on a small block they are on the front of the block just below the left head
That Number is the run and sequence. and the Vin is on the pan rail for that year.. if it has no numbers it could have been a replacement motor or Block done by the dealer

Post #10 has a photo. It is right below the screw in plug in the water jacket. closer to the mount.

I found the following 2B463848. My vin has H3B152867. Hamtramck car, but obviously not the original engine. I’ve had the car since 1976, however in the 3.5 years of its previous life someone obviously blew the original engine.

IMG_6022.jpeg

-
Back