engine ID? question

-

66Dvert

Working on my custom car parts again!
Reaction score
I have 2 /6 225 engines and was wondering where the ID for the engine was.
is it the stamped numbers right above the coil on the blocks machined surface or is it the cast numbers on the side of the block under the manifold?
I just yanked the /6 out of my 66 and want to find out the years of the motors that I have and then choose which one to redo for the driver and which one to use the turbo on.

the first one has these numbers on the engine
8w 225 6079 on the machined surface and
530-7 70898 cast on the block manifold side

2nd engine has
J 225 r 8 18 on the machined surface and
28068307 1032 cast on the block manifold side

I have another one out of a later model truck with peanut head but there is so much crud on it that I can't see the numbers. I'll have to clean that one up some to see if it's a hydraulic (or pop the valve cover and look) motor
if that one is it'll be the turbo unit.

thanks
Kurt

Hydraulic motors have a different (wider) valve cover.

2806830 is the casting number for the 68-75 block with 5 freeze plugs. It's a stronger block, the earlier block has 3 freeze plugs and should have a casting number of 2463430

You will want to use the crank that matches your transmission (60-67 or 68+) in the register area. The 76+ motor will have a cast crank which won't work in the other blocks.

Hydraulic motors have a different (wider) valve cover.

2806830 is the casting number for the 68-75 block with 5 freeze plugs. It's a stronger block, the earlier block has 3 freeze plugs and should have a casting number of 2463430

You will want to use the crank that matches your transmission (60-67 or 68+) in the register area. The 76+ motor will have a cast crank which won't work in the other blocks.

hmm thanks for the info on the hydraulic motor. I have matching transmissions on all 3 engines so I won't be chasing a crank to torque convertor issue. (2806830) I sort of thought that it was somewhere around 70 somthing (came out of a moredoor dart)
all 3 engines have the 5 freeze plugs on the side of the block.

now all I have to do is find the best compression unit and clean it up and re gasket/ seal it. I'm having the head done(larger valves) and shaved 60 thou to close up the piston in the hole syndrome. but leaving most of the port work alone. I'm saving up so that I can completely go through the lowest compression (tested) motor and set it up for the turbo. that'll take me a while and I want a good driver meanwhile.

anyone have an idea what year mighT be the other number?

No idea. There should be a 28XXXXX number on it like the other one. Nothing in your other list looks like a Mopar part or casting number.

-
Back