engine install

-

gipperco

Reaction score
Hey everyone need some help here. I have a 74 Swinger that was an original slant car that I am wanting to install a 318 into. I purchased the conversion motor mounts from shumacher and installed them as directed. I am trying to test fit the motor and it will not sit right. It is still on the cherry picker lined up and ready to go in but the pan is hitting the tie rod/drag link ? it is in the middle of the sump portion of the pan. I have heard that I may need to drop that link but it doesn't look like it would even go in and reinstall. What am I missing here? This is my first /6 to small block Abody install. I am sooooo confused.

Where did you get the 318? Does it have a passenger car or a truck oil pan? The pass car has a center sump pan, as seen below.

13.jpg

If you did not change the oil pan, then that is the problem! You need a passenger car oil pan and pickup.

So there is nothing major to do to make it work then just get a passenger pick up and pan? I knew this was too good of a deal when I got it.

Yes, it is a very straightforward swap, and easy with the motor out of the car. Just unbolt the old one, scrape the surface clean, unscrew and swap the pickup, put on the new gaskets and liberal amounts of gasket sealant, and bolt it all back together. 1 hour tops!

Sweet. I will try and find one tomorrow. Thank you for the compliment. It is going into a Swinger for my wife to run at our local track. She wants the car Pink Camo so the engine compartment is pink also and the Burgundy ties it all in with Hot Pink wires. Should look pretty cool.

-
Back