engine issues

-

firekrotch26

1st time dart owner
Reaction score
225 slant six, 72 dart, ok when the engine is cold it runs, accelerates and idles and everything is fine, BUT after the engine warms up its not ok, i can give it a little throttle and its fine all pistons fire and the car accelerates but there is a "sweet spot" on the throttle so that after i pass that point it starts misfiring like its not getting enough gas or something, bottom line is i cant for the life of me begin to figure out what this could be! there is a gas can extension tube that fell into the gas tank but that would not explain why it only happens before the engine warms up. i checked the choke and it opens like it should and seems to be fine. any way, if i could get someone to narrow the problem down a little i might be able to fix it or figure this one out.

Maybe some trash in the fuel filter? Check any and all of em. There's a small one on the end of the fuel pickup inside the tank. PO may have stuck some in the line between the tank and the motor. I do. Also maybe starving the carb. Not a genius but it has to have fuel. Some smart people will chime in later i'm sure.

Does the car have points? If so, are they set correctly and not floating from wear/age/malfunction?

I had a very similar problem many years ago on a 318. For the life of me I couldn't figure it out. It turned out to be a bad coil. The coil was fine until it got warm and then started acting up. Easy one to try if you have another coil nearby.

Jack

thanks for the tips! i will test the coil and try to get that gas can tube out of my gas tank i will also replace my fuel filter as they are not that expensive and it wouldn't hurt anyway, but im not sure about points are you speaking of the carb or distributor or what? anyway ill test then come back to confirm or deny.

ok so i put in a new ignition coil but i still have the same problem, now i should replace the ignition points?

Try checking the gap & condition of the points. Also, if there is a lot of material transferred from one side of the points to the other it could be a sign of a bad condenser.

points and condensor are also cheap and itdoesn't hurt to have a spare, an easy way to set the gap is with a match book or about 3 sheet of paper, also i would check the spark plugs and plug wires,also it wouldn't hurt to double check the ignition timing

thanks a million guys i really appreciate the help. this is my daily driver and my way to and from work so it pretty important that i get it fixed, and i get the learn about the ignition system!

I agree with the checking all the ignition stuff, but after that you may want to check out the carb. If its running rich it will also run well while cold and then have issues once its warmed up.

I had a similar problem with my 273. turned out to be a bad dist. As it work accelerate the advance shorted out the wire to the coil. I bought a rebuilt dist. from Advance for $45.00 and then it ran like a dream.

thanks for the tips! i will test the coil and try to get that gas can tube out of my gas tank i will also replace my fuel filter as they are not that expensive and it wouldn't hurt anyway, but im not sure about points are you speaking of the carb or distributor or what? anyway ill test then come back to confirm or deny.

I wouldn't worry about pulling the pick-up out of the gas tank. It would be much easier to check fuel pump pressure and volume test on the line just before it goes into the carb. If you find that either one is low on the specification and a new fuel pump doesn't bring it back up into spec. THAN you might think about pulling the pick-up out of the tank.

yeah i would like to get it out of the tank but if i can avoid it than that would be great, that being said the point was in terrible condition so i replaced it and now all is good! i plan on replacing the condenser as well just for the sake of reliability. thanks for the help i would never had figured this out without everyone's help

-
Back