Engine lifting?

-

63dartman

Reaction score
I am now ready to set my new engine with the spic and span valve covers(another post) into the engine bay. I am a little worried to use the lifting plate that bolts to the intake. It has 4 5/16" studs in the eddie manifold. Is it safe to use the plate or should I lift it from a couple of intake bolts that go into the heads? I just have visions of the studs pulling out of the aluminum intake. Right now it is on a stand until I know for sure. Thanks

Should be fine with the plate. I dropped a 383 with the transmission attached into mine, lifting from the plate held on by the 4 carb studs only in an aluminum intake

I am now ready to set my new engine with the spic and span valve covers(another post) into the engine bay. I am a little worried to use the lifting plate that bolts to the intake. It has 4 5/16" studs in the eddie manifold. Is it safe to use the plate or should I lift it from a couple of intake bolts that go into the heads? I just have visions of the studs pulling out of the aluminum intake. Right now it is on a stand until I know for sure. Thanks

This question comes up from time to time.
I believe you will hear that there is no problem from using the intake bolts, and then get a couple others that say dont. I personally have used the intake with no issues. Maybe you can leave your engine on the stand and lift it a couple inches off the ground using the intake bolts, and see what you think. Probably the most important thing when using the intake is the bolts.
Get some good grade 8 bolts, that fully sink into the intake,using all threads available.You should be alright.

Ooops my bad......I thought this thread was about lifting engines by hand ?

If I happen to use a cherry picker I also use one of them engine hoist levelers.

Attachments

• Scan_Pic0008 [Desktop Resolution]2.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 160
  • engine hoist.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 193
Thanks for the replies. That is a good Idea to do the test lift first. The studs are grade 8 and bottomed out with thread lock. It is just the engine alone now I Just need to get some good nuts and washers.Thanks again Funny CrossRam:)

personally, i would NEVER use a plate that bolts in place of the carburetor. i want my chains bolted to the block with that 750 pounds hangin so high. but thats just me.

personally, i would NEVER use a plate that bolts in place of the carburetor. i want my chains bolted to the block with that 750 pounds hangin so high. but thats just me.

Agreed, I always bolt a chain between the Rear of the Left Head and the front of the Right Head. (in the accessory bracket holes)

Agreed, I always bolt a chain between the Rear of the Left Head and the front of the Right Head. (in the accessory bracket holes)
exactly. i always pull and install all my motors as a unit and i want to be able to lift and move things without being worried about just one of those tiny little carb bolts letting loose and someone getting hurt , especially a big block and a 727. i would rather be safe than lose a limb.

I used one And I had my tranny on it as well guess I am lucky then.

Attachments

• new in.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 122
exactly. i always pull and install all my motors as a unit and i want to be able to lift and move things without being worried about just one of those tiny little carb bolts letting loose and someone getting hurt , especially a big block and a 727. i would rather be safe than lose a limb.

I've seen a few of those (when using the plate to lift the engine) rip the threads right out of the intake and the engine would slam into the floor, trashing whatever was in range of that 500 pound wrecking ball.

One guy I know, destroyed the fender and fenderwell when the bolts ripped out as he was swinging the engine over the fender.

Plates are not an issue if the threads in the intake are good. If you run the studs in and they wiggle side to side when bottomed, DON'T USE A PLATE!

What kind of weight do you think it takes to stretch a 5/16" grade 8 stud before it breaks? It's a hell of a lot more than a fully dressed iron SB weighs and you have 4 bolts/studs holding it up.

Plates are not an issue if the threads in the intake are good. If you run the studs in and they wiggle side to side when bottomed, DON'T USE A PLATE!

I'm with Cracked. Had my first lift plate built in 1979...still have it and use it ALL the time.

Here's a pic of my old school lift plate and my motor swinging in the breeze for two days while set up the bell housing and check clutch alignment. By the way, that's an aluminium (LD-340) intake.

Attachments

• Engine on hoist_10.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 98
I've seen a few of those (when using the plate to lift the engine) rip the threads right out of the intake and the engine would slam into the floor, trashing whatever was in range of that 500 pound wrecking ball.

One guy I know, destroyed the fender and fenderwell when the bolts ripped out as he was swinging the engine over the fender.

now that must have been ugly. hopefully no one got hurt. thats the very reason i wont use those things. i will trust my chain and intake bolts. been doing this for many years. never had a problem. im sure the plate has its advantages. i , myself , will never use one.

-
Back