Engine milling maths

-
Dwayne, I’m sure either way is just fine. It’s just what others prefer. I have never had the head face or an intake milled B4. But when I mentioned milling the heads Graham said to bring the intake. Like I said I was leary. But this is how he has done it for years. This build for my buddy won’t be making millions of miles so I hope to never have to replace heads or intake on it. Kim

I’m a big believer in...... if you’re getting good results out of using a certain product, or doing something a certain way....... just keep doing it.

Just the same old skinning of the cat argument. People get pushy and even rude about how to do it and its unnecessary.

Just the same old skinning of the cat argument. People get pushy and even rude about how to do it and its unnecessary.

It’s not being pushy or rude when the ONLY way to do it is mill the heads. Specifically when it’s said if you do the heads, any intake can be slapped on there after that, and that is bullshit.

I don’t know how many small block chryslers you build, but if you want the compression ratio where it should be, you can mill .080 off easily. Especially when the nominal deck height is mostly on the high side of the blueprint or over it.

I need to measure the deck height on my R block again. Seems like it was 9.650. To get to a zero deck with most pistons you’re going to take off .060 anyway.

If you are using an open chamber head like a W2, and you don’t want to use a King Kong sized dome, the piston has to come out of the bore. IIRC, the OE gasket was .029 thick, or close to it. So you either need to mill the piss out of the heads, which kills flow and makes it harder to keep a head gasket sealed, AND you still need to either mill the intake manifold or the head face, or you take it off the block.

This ain’t my first rodeo doing this. Decking .040-.060 to set the deck height is normal if you don’t want to run a huge dome. Or 9:1 compression is what you’re after. To get an honest 10.5:1 on a 340 the piston has to be out of the deck at the very least .017 PLUS the difference in the thickness of the gasket from OE to aftermarket.

And, if you are building compression on something like the junk W5 chamber, the best way to do it is stick the piston out of the bore an extra .040 or so, mill the deck of the piston down whatever you took off the block, and reduce the dome if you can.

That’s how you can get 15.5:1 on a 3.313 stroke and not run a King Kong dome.

And it’s the same for most anything running a dome.

In any event, you need to mill something, and the intake is cheaper than the head to replace.

Mini, yer close to Linzy, go to the old Mckerlie Millen/Carquest on Victoria Ave. Speak to Al, easy 40 years machinist experience, Mopar guy and races.
This is entertaining, but hes a real person and willing to share.
Yeah kinda got lost in a pissing match. I'll just do what I think is correct and works for me.

Graham is doing my intake. Here is pics with no end rail gaskets. I had to push it down pretty good to get the bolts in. The heads were milled .031 after these pics. Not sure what the spec is for milling the intake. He would not do the head intake face. He said that’s the wrong way to do it. Kim ...

Did you run that intake before?

LOL. Yeah ok. **** just falls together for you. You are either stupid or lying.

I don’t see you ragging on oldkimmer and his machinist because there is another “idiot” who does it wrong. You have a hard on for me because I call out fools like you who wreck **** for the next guy to fix.

I’ll say it AGAIN because you ain’t getting it. No two manifolds are the same. Not brand new. That’s why one fit, and the other didn’t. Get it yet? Your fantasy of zero tolerance stack up is silly and smacks of gross inexperience.

The other cheap assed fixed I’ve seen done over the decades is slotting the bolt holes. Which is fine if you are a hack and you don’t care if the ports line up. But the intake “fits”.

Well, so called machinist, what is out of spec? The heads or the intake? Do you even know how to measure? I got what you were saying the first time, clown. Do us a favor and stamp what you and your so called machinists mill the intake and put your name on it, so I can avoid buying your kludges. You can do things any way you want and so can Kim. I have never seen him try and degrade anyone. Milling the intake will probably work. It will never happen on anything I do. I don't have the time or want the hassle. I do it right the first time and never have a problem. Nice to see you can take something so simple and make a whole mountain out of a mole hill. Can you tell me again how smart you think you are, or how stupid someone else is? I didn't catch it the first thousand times. Never mind, I just don't believe you.

Well, so called machinist, what is out of spec? The heads or the intake? Do you even know how to measure? I got what you were saying the first time, clown. Do us a favor and stamp what you and your so called machinists mill the intake and put your name on it, so I can avoid buying your kludges. You can do things any way you want and so can Kim. I have never seen him try and degrade anyone. Milling the intake will probably work. It will never happen on anything I do. I don't have the time or want the hassle. I do it right the first time and never have a problem. Nice to see you can take something so simple and make a whole mountain out of a mole hill. Can you tell me again how smart you think you are, or how stupid someone else is? I didn't catch it the first thousand times. Never mind, I just don't believe you.

Ok hero. Whatever makes you feel better.

It was run on a 340 way back in the late 80s early 90s. The intake fit good on the 340 with factory heads. Kim

That's what I figured. So I guess we know your Aluminum heads aren't up to factory specs. Your money, your parts, your call man.

Ok hero. Whatever makes you feel better.

I would also suggest you go back and reread your posts. Maybe you can see that I only replied to you replies. I never called anyone stupid or an idiot. There aren't any stupid people or idiots here on this site. Just people trying to help each other out using their knowledge and experience. There are many ways to do the same thing. If mine is different than yours, that does not make me stupid, inexperienced or an idiot. Nor does it make you one either.

Going to be taking my Eddie 60779s to the machine shop soon. According to Mopar1 in order to lose 5cc combustion chamber volume I will need to mill my heads .024. And according to that I will need to take .028 off the intake side of the head and .03456 off the intake ends.

Does everyone use these handy charts when milling? Are they accurate.
.024" off the head gasket side, and .023" off the intake side (of the head). The rule on SBMs is 95%.

-
Back