Engine needs a rebuild?

-
Thank you. Appreciate it.
Do you know of a source for replacement intake and exhaust manifolds?
Why do you think you need those replaced?
Cracked? Want to upgrade to a 2 bbl or even a 4 bbl? Something else? Get it running as best as it can run on what is there now 1st.
I have a couple of sets of 1bbl manifold "stacks" laying around but shipping would kill that idea
See if anyone from the site lives close enough for you to meet up that has what you are after.

And valve guide seals can be changed on the car without pulling the head. Been there done that.
Parts would be cheap, buy you do need access to a good air compressor
And the right kind of a valve spring compressor.

And I'll add that coming sometime this winter I will have a running driving /6 core up for grabs, all the lightweight stuff short of an aluminum block (the later engines had lots of weight shaved off the block, head and crank) but it is tired. Currently still running in my 85 pickup. Just under 100k original miles.

In that case, what I would do is get a can of Seafoam and add to the gas tank and one to the crankcase oil. Then drive the wheels off it. You can also take a third can and dribble it down the carburetor while keeping the idle around 2500. It's gonna smoke REALLY bad, but that will help clean the combustion chambers out. Don't do it idling too low. You can actually hydrolock the engine if you don't keep the idle up. Seafoam is good stuff. It might clear up and be ok.

A question... had major carbon build up on the plugs after the seafoam treatment. Changed plugs, then did a tune up that included new points, distributor. Adjusted the choke and the car was idling better than ever. Did a compression test and all cylinders are great.

Drove it 100 yards and it started to run like garbage again and smoked a ton. Checked the choke and it was fully open after being warm.

What do u think?

A question... had major carbon build up on the plugs after the seafoam treatment. Changed plugs, then did a tune up that included new points, distributor. Adjusted the choke and the car was idling better than ever. Did a compression test and all cylinders are great.

Drove it 100 yards and it started to run like garbage again and smoked a ton. Checked the choke and it was fully open after being warm.

What do u think?
What color smoke? It's probably still shakin junk out of the combustion chambers. DRIVE it and see how it does.

White smoke.
White smoke (steam) is generally coolant or water. Very light blue smoke is oil or carbon getting blown out. Did it dissipate quickly like steam or hang out a few seconds like oil smoke? I'm betting it's oil smoke from whatever the sea foam shook loose. Did it smell like oil or coolant?

White smoke (steam) is generally coolant or water. Very light blue smoke is oil or carbon getting blown out. Did it dissipate quickly like steam or hang out a few seconds like oil smoke? I'm betting it's oil smoke from whatever the sea foam shook loose. Did it smell like oil or coolant?
More like oil. It definitely hung around.

-
Back