Engine number decoder

-

6671dartster

Reaction score
I am going to look at a few motors this week. Is there any way I can tell what year the motor was made, what type of block it is, (ie,La, Long or short block).I want to make sure I can use them in my 66 Dart. I just want to be able to swap my 273 for a 318 or 360 without changing motor mounts and such. What do I need to look for in the numbers? Is there a decoder page anyone can tell me about? Thanks

Briefly, nearly all LA Small blocks (68-up) have the information right on the side of the block. The displacement and forge date are cast right into them. You can also look on the left front there is a machined pad just below where the cyl head mounts with cid and additional information on it including the assembly date. The pad information is stamped not cast. They should all work in your car.

the next issue you'll likely have next is transmission torque converter. I assume you have a 66 automatic? early used a small crank hub the later used large. So there might be a miss-match and the internal external balance will also make a difference. these can be made to work by a converter builder, but you need to know whats what.

Here's the info that you need to decode the VIN number found on the dash board. This is the VIN of the car.

View attachment VIN ID A01 B2.jpg

Here is the info that you need to decode the engine factory information on the front of the block just below the driver's side head:

View attachment Engine ID A01 B2.jpg

Here is a picture of the driver's side of the block (left side with no oil filter). This number is the casting number and has the engine size at the end:

View attachment 360 Lt Side B01 B3.jpg

Here's a closer view of the casting number above:

View attachment 360 Lt Side B02 B2.jpg

Here is the right side of the block showing the information here.

A is the last 8 digits of the VIN number found on the dash. This has the last 8 digits of the VIN, which is the information in the first picture. You can find out the year of the car that the block was originally in and the assembly plant that the car was made at. The last 6 digits are the sequence number at the vehicle assembly plant.

B is the casting date that the block was cast with the clock below it for what time it was made, and C shows the shift that the block was cast on.

View attachment 360 Rt Side B02 B2.jpg

Here's the casting date and shift shown closer up.

View attachment 360 Rt Side B05 B2.jpg

Here is the VIN pad. You may have to scrape some rust/dirt/grease/grime/paint from this one to be able to see the information.

View attachment 360 Rt Side B04 B2.jpg

Here is the front of the block where you will find the information for the engine factory where the engine was built. Use the second picture to decode this number:

View attachment 360 Front B01 B2.jpg

Here's a close up of that area where you will find the number. You may have to scrape some rust/dirt/grease/grime/paint from this one to be able to see the information also.

View attachment 360 Front B02 B2.jpg

Rocky JS, I have a 904 automatic that I am useing with the 273. How can I tell whats what with the And the current converter? Knowing the 318 will bolt right in is half the battle. Can I can use the same manifolds and intake from the 273?

I wouldn't over think this until you get an engine you want. Then address as needed at that point. You just need to factor in an extra +/- $100. And let us know what you have selected so we can help make the proper recommendation.

The early converter 67 and earlier had a small register the 68 and up has a large. This is where the converter fits into the crankshafts big whole. If your engine is original and a 66 and you get a 68 318 your converter will fit loosely. If it is the other way 68 318 going into a 66 273 the converter will not fit at all into the flange. You can have the proper one modified or just replaced with the appropriate one.

-
Back