Engine Oil Pressure on SB Mopar?

-

bwhitejr

Reaction score
My son's 318 takes a few seconds to get the oil pressure up to the middle of the scale on the factory OP gauge. I know the sensor is on the top of the engine and should take *some* time, but how long should it take? It starts coming up after it starts and continues slowly up. The OP gauge is the original factory gauge, could that be the problem? The engine has been rebuilt and it has a new oil pressure sending unit.

bwhitejr

They are heavily damped so they do not move fast. Also, the factory guages from the 60's and 70's were notoriously inaccurate.

If you are concerned about oil pressure put a mechincal gauge on the engine and see what it is doing then you can use the factory guage as a reference.

Thats why the factory has a oil light too cause the gauge takes time to move. The light should go out fast then the gauge starts to move slowly. If theres no light it might be burn out.

The vast majority of cars with oil pressure gauges did not have the oil light. My 68 Barracuda just has the gauge. The first car I remember seeing with both was my 85 Daytona.

I have a mechanical gauge on my sb and it takes about 5 seconds for it to register pressure. 5 tense seconds that is!

Hi all,

When I rebuilt my engine for my 69 barracuda last (318), I installed a high volume oil pump from my local auto parts store and my oil pressure comes up right at startup - no waiting. But I also have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge with the stock gauge disconnected, so not sure how the two relate.

-
Back