Engine oil

-

Boony405hp

Reaction score
Hey lads,

What is everyone's choice of engine oil for these engines? I am running a 5.7 which has the MDS lifters, even if it's not operating would you still need an oil that caters to these style lifters as specified by the factory?

My wifes MDS 5.7 has always had 5w20 Mobil 1. If you're in a hot climate I would run either 15w40 Rotella or 15w50 red cap Mobil 1.

Schaeffer Series 9000 5w-40. You buy it from a distributor and my guy is fantastic. He did some free oil testing analysis before & after for me, and I was very happy with the results. it is also priced better.

Hey lads,

What is everyone's choice of engine oil for these engines? I am running a 5.7 which has the MDS lifters, even if it's not operating would you still need an oil that caters to these style lifters as specified by the factory?
I'm running Royal Purple in my street hemis and my race car. Put it in the wife's 2014 RAM 1500 5.7 and gas mileage went up, while oil temp and water temp went down. The truck has the MDS lifters and it is so seamless when it switches back and forth, I love it. 6 speed Challenger and race car are not MDS, Royal Purple is working well in those too. Race car has NEVER overheated on a pass, maybe got to 210 water temp once....

-
Back