Engine overheating

-
yep its just a stock 318 out of a 98 durango with the edelbrock intake and carb

No ****? Its incomplete? i didn't know that. I'm actively trying to fix problems as they arise, and sorry not everyone is a mechanic and we have to ask questions about stuff we don't know. I have to be able to get the car from the back yard to the garrage to work on it so I cant just leave it sitting around not getting fixed just because it has alot of work that needs done. Priorities. I dont care about idiot lights on the dash when i have problems right in front of me that have to be fixed to even be able to work on the car.

Working accurate gauges are something you get installed and working BEFORE you ever start the engine. COMPLETE systems, such as the cooling system are things that should be completed BEFORE you fire the engine.

Instead of wanting to hear it run and sound cool, cut it off and fix it right.

You're right everybody's not a mechanic. But there are better ways to go about this.

Like you said. Priorities.

If the water pump has not been changed to a non magnum pump, there is your problem. The magnum pump is reverse rotation for the serpentine belt.

I think in his picture i can see 4 bolts, im pretty sure its a early style water pump. The fan would be backwards as well and his are going the right way

any suggestions on fan shrouds? Everything im finding looks like its for a 26" radiator or an electric fan setup

dont need fancy, just functional without being junk.

dont need fancy, just functional without being junk.

Well don't let somebody get one over on you. Lots of people out there think they are made of gold. They ain't.

yeah i seen a bunch for like 150+ but they were for 26" core anyway. youd think a piece of plastic with a circle molded in would be relatively cheap lol

1/4” plastic polycarbonate used to be 1 cent per square inch we had to pay in shops class.
I keep rolling around plans to build my own shroud

Mr Gasket makes a universal one. It's kinda crappy and chrome but they do work. I think you could probably make a better one. And not gay chrome.

Hopefully ill have my aluminum shroud mounted tomorrow, it aint cheap though, was $218 shipped, the repro ones are around $170. Ive had issues with the plastic shrouds warping. We me and my dad first built the car i just went with the plastic repro shroud cause it looked factory, there aint nothing factory about that 340 lol, so what the hell, id rather have function over form but to be honest that aluminum shroud looks better than the plastic shrouds anyway. If i were to do it over i would of just spent the $800 bucks for the aluminum rad and shroud combo. But nothing wrong with mine so it will stay for now lol

Just have it mocked up right now, looks like it will about work out perfect. Im not worried about the slight gaps near the ribs, the plastic shroud didnt fit tight against the radiator at all

D2A5E769-7DB1-40F6-9A0F-E963ECA4776F.jpeg

Last edited:
That is one bad *** shroud! Very nice design and workmanship there! $200 should pretty reasonable to me for a custom shroud. Care to divulge your source?

Wizardcooling.com
really? I didn't know they made OEM style shrouds in aluminum. They are our competition but we don't make an OEM style shroud out of aluminum. That one is a big thumbs up for the price if you are running a mechanical fan but want to dress up your engine compartment! Love it.

Well its techically not advertised as a oem piece. They are used with their aluminum radiators and are listed as a oe style shroud but not listed to work with the oe style radiator. I just reached out to them and they sold me one to try and see. Based on a couple basic measurements it seemed like it would work but it was a total guess

Putting together my parts list to get everything squared away. Someone mentioned eliminating the looped heater hoses (i dont have a heater unit) So how do i eliminate the Looped hose? what parts do i specifically need to plug the holes?

The setup you currently have is fine. Running the hose from tge water pump to the intake is your best bet. I might try to find a 90 degree adapter for the intake that way the hose has more of a straight shot. Its almost impossible to plug the holes. The intake you can insert the correct size plug and be fine but will be hard to plug the nipple on the water pump.

I believe the thread on the intake is a 3/8 npt but im not 100% sure on that

Derale NPT To Nipple Fittings 98234

AD26E13C-22A4-490D-9F5D-2513D201CEF9.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back