Engine Painting - what is what ?

-

thesnafu72

Reaction score
I am rebuilding my smallblock 318 for my 72 dart. I bought the correct chrysler blue engine paint, but am unsure what on the engine gets painted blue, and what gets painted black (or some other color). I want to restor it to the original look, so I need some help figuring out what to paint what.

Pretty much everything that makes up the longblock assmbly

Block
Heads
Valve Covers including Wire Looms (separators)
Timing Chain Cover
Water Pump
Damper
Small Coolant Bypass between WP and Intake
Brackets for Throttle Springs
PCV and Grommet (pretty sure)
Oil Pan

On stock motors the exhaust manifolds were on before painting so they usually have overspray

thank you ! i will be running headers.. what color were they painted if they canme from the factory ?

Factory headers were often painted either black or white. Most racers back in the day used white painted headers because that's what the aftermarket offered. I'd go with white if you want a really good retro look. Black headers were just as common, but they look kinda "bleh"

I remember my buddy painted his full length headers a few years back white... They looked good until we installed them! They got dirty REAL easily :(

White looks cool lie stated above, but once a rust spot shows.. terrible. Black - boring. How about a nice Hi-temp stainless paint if you're not coating them?

Grant

Heres a few pics for you

Attachments

• 3069.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 525
  • 3072.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 493
if your running the factory wire separators, they were installed and got lots of over spray on them too. the chrysler rattle can blue paint is lighter color than the factory color i've painted over. also, if the cans are a little old, it can be a runny mess. light coats and you'll want to wear gloves :)

post some pics when your done

isn't the dipstick and the oil cap supposed to be red ?

The dipstick was dipped in engine paint. The bare steel tube was installed after the engine was painted, so it has no overspray.

Oil cap is painted color of engine.

Couple pics.

Attachments

• car pics 007.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 397
  • faucet pics 251.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 384
This is what came red on my engine.
photo%25288%2529.jpg

Anybody else, or is it just me?

What about the fuel pump? I was thinking it was painted with the engine? Yes, no ??

And the spark plugs and oil filter ?

I thought engine was painted with everything on it. Manifolds got painted, heater bypass hose got painted. Spark plugs probably got taped not sure about the fuel pump or oil filter.

Id only paint the engine color on these components, block, heads, valve covers, timing cover, water pump, oil pan, intake, dip stick tube and end of dip stick, oil fill cap.

On the manifolds id use cast blast.

-
Back