Engine Quest Dodge Magnum Heads New Zealand castings.

-

65TTCuda

Reaction score
I just scored a pare of Dodge Magnum EQ heads New Zealand castings at a local swap meet here in AZ. the bowls are cut for a 1.62" exhaust valve and a 2.02 intake valve. They are brand new bare assemblies still in the boxes and were stapled shut. They have a website on the box but I can't get to the original website, since I guess they are no longer in business. www.toowoombaproducts.com Can anyone verify the intake runner cc's and what they might flow. Do you think they can support around 500HP. They are going on a 1996 magnum 360 that maybe stroked to a 408.

To give you a little bump.....

I'm no expert with Magnums, but i believe the NZ castings were superior before they moved to China. That said, if i recall, the intake ports were in the 170ish range. Not sure what your goals are, but 400hp with a 360 is easily available. Now 500 would take some compression and a big cam, meaning not streetable for most. As far as a stroked SB, i'd use them to build huge torque in the 3k to 4.5k range and let the HP fall where it may. I have seen where the big intake valve really likes a good bowl blend on those.

With all that...lol...Good luck with your project and i'm sure you'll get a lot of different opinions.

I just scored a pare of Dodge Magnum EQ heads New Zealand castings at a local swap meet here in AZ. the bowls are cut for a 1.62" exhaust valve and a 2.02 intake valve. They are brand new bare assemblies still in the boxes and were stapled shut. They have a website on the box but I can't get to the original website, since I guess they are no longer in business. www.toowoombaproducts.com Can anyone verify the intake runner cc's and what they might flow. Do you think they can support around 500HP. They are going on a 1996 magnum 360 that maybe stroked to a 408.

I have a set of those NZ castings on my Magnum.
Everything I have seen says about 230 on flow, and 173 or so ports.
This is apparently in out of the box condition with 1.92 intake valves.
Your 2.02’s probably flow better than that.

To give you a little bump.....

I'm no expert with Magnums, but i believe the NZ castings were superior before they moved to China. That said, if i recall, the intake ports were in the 170ish range. Not sure what your goals are, but 400hp with a 360 is easily available. Now 500 would take some compression and a big cam, meaning not streetable for most. As far as a stroked SB, i'd use them to build huge torque in the 3k to 4.5k range and let the HP fall where it may. I have seen where the big intake valve really likes a good bowl blend on those.

With all that...lol...Good luck with your project and i'm sure you'll get a lot of different opinions.
My plan is 10.5-1 compression and the Comp Cams big Mutha Thumpr hyd roller cam. Duration intake 243@50, Exhaust 257@50, lift intake .533, exhaust .519. LSA 107. with 1.6 roller rockers = intake .568 and exhaust .553. KB flat top pistons, a tunnel ram manifold and either 2 x 450cfm - 2 x 600cfm carbs.

My plan is 10.5-1 compression and the Comp Cams big Mutha Thumpr hyd roller cam. Duration intake 243@50, Exhaust 257@50, lift intake .533, exhaust .519. LSA 107. with 1.6 roller rockers = intake .568 and exhaust .553. KB flat top pistons, a tunnel ram manifold and either 2 x 450cfm - 2 x 600cfm carbs.

Run from the 450 carbs. I's think at least two 650 DP's would be the best. You can go to 750's if you are willing to use annular boosters.

Run from the 450 carbs. I's think at least two 650 DP's would be the best. You can go to 750's if you are willing to use annular boosters.
The biggest I have right now are Holley 600's with mechanical secondaries and manual chokes.

Were they a good score for $900?
Post a couple pictures. The real New Zealand castings were machined flat on the front and rear faces and had the part number on them, if I recall correctly.
If they are real New Zealand castings or the previous original Australian casting they are good quality parts and will be close to the advertised 170 cc or so intake port size.

Post a couple pictures. The real New Zealand castings were machined flat on the front and rear faces and had the part number on them, if I recall correctly.
If they are real New Zealand castings or the previous original Australian casting they are good quality parts and will be close to the advertised 170 cc or so intake port size.
I will post picts when I get home from work.

Toowoomba products - these will be very early production heads cast in Australia (first couple of runs) not sure if there were changes made to the castings when they moved production to NZ.

Toowoomba products - these will be very early production heads cast in Australia (first couple of runs) not sure if there were changes made to the castings when they moved production to NZ.
That is good to know, another piece of the puzzle. I had been looking for a set for some time now. didn't think I would find them in a swap meet. Don't have the budget for aluminum heads but didn't want to settle for stock either.

That is good to know, another piece of the puzzle. I had been looking for a set for some time now. didn't think I would find them in a swap meet. Don't have the budget for aluminum heads but didn't want to settle for stock either.
Since they are bare castings you will need a machine shop to size the guides and touch up the valve job once you get valves.

IMM engines in California may still offer valves and a spring package for these. You could check with them.
If not, Hughes Engines can get you a spring package and valves.

Since they are bare castings you will need a machine shop to size the guides and touch up the valve job once you get valves.

IMM engines in California may still offer valves and a spring package for these. You could check with them.
If not, Hughes Engines can get you a spring package and valves.
Thanks for the info.

They flow about 230cfm at about .500 lift as cast with the 1.92 valve. Several places were getting about 270 cfm with 2.02 valve, good valve job, and minor bowl blend work.

They flow about 230cfm at about .500 lift as cast with the 1.92 valve. Several places were getting about 270 cfm with 2.02 valve, good valve job, and minor bowl blend work.
270cfm would be Ideal for me, it could get me right in the ballpark of 500+ HP.

The last ones I remember seeing on here for sale used, were $1100, so new in the box for $900 is a good deal.

:thumbsup:
Thanks, makes me feel better. I don't usually bring that kind of money to the swap meet, so I put a deposit down and had to come back later with the rest and pick them up.

Like so.
1709606881289.png

Yup, those should be the good ones. I wish I bought a few sets when they were still available new.

Yup, those should be the good ones. I wish I bought a few sets when they were still available new.
I have been looking for a pare for about 1 1/2 years. but didn't find any locally until now. Others I did find were like $1200 and up, some ready to bolt on and go. But finding these for under $1000 I thought was just short of a Miracle! I know I have to put a little more into them but I can do that little by little now.

-
Back