Engine Quest Dodge Magnum Heads New Zealand castings.

-
I also thought and have read that less is more when it comes to Carb cfm and tunnel rams, but I may be mistaken. There are so many different opinions on carb choice especially when it comes to tunnel rams. And when on a budget there are even more. bought the 450's off eBay and they will probably need a rebuild. Bought the 600's at the swap meet as a pare, and they will defiantly need a rebuild. But I buy what I can afford and try to do most of the work myself, so I don't break the budget.

I was asking New Bomb why he is against the 450s
I understand they are more for racing but what is the difference when you know when your secondaries kick in versus A vacuum secondary?
I am just wondering? Teach me something.

Because you can get a carb too small and those are a good example of it. One of the first things I learned about tunnel rams was if the carbs are small enough to not need an accelerator pump they would be far too restrictive to make any power.

There are guys who think that lack of accelerator pump makes it better as far as atomization but there is more to it than that.

I forget how many inches his engine is but in my senior year a buddy had a 302 with those carbs in it. Eventually we put a pair of 625 Carter's on it and it wasn't close.

He sold those carbs to a friend of his girlfriends. He had them off in a month and went back to the 650 double pumpers he took off.

EDIT: the 450's I'm aware of are mechanical secondaries without an accelerator pump.

Last edited:
You're probably already aware but it's a good idea to break all the machined edges on those heads with a small fine file. Those early EQ heads had some really nasty sharp edges. I have a pair and learned the hard way.

Quench combustions chambers and improved over original magnum castings I am a fan of those heads.

-
Back