Engine restoration - always something new!

-

GY3 71 Demon

Reaction score
I was perusing an old R/T Magazine from April 1971, and came across a Test Report they did on a 71 Demon 340. Interesting reading - it seemed they really liked the car.

Along with the article there were a few b/w photos - one was a picture of the engine compartment showing the 340. Personally, I really like those old photos because they show what the engines truly looked like from the factory.

As a side note - It seems that when I'm at car shows there's always one or two "experts" that like to point out on restored cars mistakes that were done and are not like "original" cars. Seems like a lot of people latch onto an idea they heard from some other "expert" and from that point forward that's the gospel.

Anyway, while I was checking out the picture of the Demon's 340, a few things popped out at me. One of them, I admit, was against what I had "latched" onto myself. It was the bypass hose. I always thought that on a 340 the bypass hose was painted engine color. But, here plain as day on a new 340 was an unpainted by pass hose - the hose was the same as any other hose on the engine - black rubber.

A second thing, was what appeared to be a piece of rubber hose covering the fuel line right behind the alternator bracket. Now, I had heard that sometimes there could be a percolation issue with the fuel line on 340s, but I never knew a section of fuel hose was installed right from the factory.

Couple of more commonly known things, but still interesting to me, was the lower half of the gas cap was definitely painted/striped the same as the side stripe. Also, the hood scoops did not have chrome bezels (it was a painted mirror car), no 340 callouts, and the hood did not have a Dodge emblem anywhere on it.

One mistake was the article stated a triple 2v package was available (I assume they mean from Mopar and not Mr. Norm's).

As always, never say never with these old Mopars...

I have my original pictures of my 1971 Demon 340, I knew about the bypass hose but the fuel line is new to me! any chance of a copy of that info? Thanks John

-
Back