Engine running lean, stinky exhaust

-

DudeDartMoo69

Reaction score
Ok, I just rebult my 750 Holly, it works great. I had a buddy help with it and adjusted it correctly. Before I did that I had changed out my spark plug wires from 7mm to 8mm Taylors and the plugs were just changed. Since I changed the plug wires my car has that grey smokey = bad stink like to much fuel, the smell that makes your eyes burn. Oh, its a 340 4brl. My buddy thinks now that I have new wires I am not sending enough spark to the plugs - I have a electronic distributor and I think the stock silver box, he said if I change my coil to the MSD blaster two and buy the orange box it will send more voltage and burn the fuel better and get rid of the smoke.... Any thoughts about this

Burning your eyes = too rich. This is most likely related to your carburetor, have never heard of plug wires making a car run too rich.

Yes too rich. You most likely have carb problems. Have you adjusted the idle mixture screws? Did you replace the power valve?

Whats your buddy smoking?

The car was smoking before I did the carb. At first is was light just when I started the engine cold, then it went away. The smell is bad, I dont smell sweet smell like AF but I have been doing some reading and maybee it is a bad head gasket? Your eyes will tear up if you hang around long enough. Or maybee that Vacum module thing from the Trans leaking into the intake manifold. got me. I'm not the greatest mechanic but I am learning

The car was smoking before I did the carb. At first is was light just when I started the engine cold, then it went away. The smell is bad, I dont smell sweet smell like AF but I have been doing some reading and maybee it is a bad head gasket? Your eyes will tear up if you hang around long enough. Or maybee that Vacum module thing from the Trans leaking into the intake manifold. got me. I'm not the greatest mechanic but I am learning

There is no vacuum module thing on a mopar trans.
Could it be burning oil?
Have you tried a different carb to rule that out?
Head gasket would be antifreeze, which you stated you don't smell.

holley dp or vac. secondary?
how many turns out are the idle mix screws? you want around 1.5 turns out.

new power valve? a torn valve will leak fuel

before ALL that though--have you double checked your timing??

-
Back