engine size+3spd on the tree?????s

-

crazy4mopar

Reaction score
I have been told many different times about what size of engine could go with a 3 on the tree manual and they have all been different, i have a 72 swinger with 3 on the tree and a slant six in her, and im wondering what is the biggest engine i could put in her and still have the 3spd on the tree??, and what all mods would need to be done??

Well the 3 speed on the floor was standard on the 1970 Dart Swinger 340. That kept the basic price at $2808. but most up graded to the 4-speed or 727. So I would think you could make the 3 on the tree work with the 340 or a 360 smallblock. Ron

You can put all most any engine in front of a 3 speed. Some of the trucks with the 400's came with them. Race cars used them to get to the top gear the fastest. (one less shift or chance of a mis shift) As for strength, I used to scream my old 340 Demon with one and never had any problems. Blew apart plenty of center chucks in my 8 3/4 rears. But never blew that 3 speed apart.

Good luck

Joe

a 3 speed is a 3 speed floor or col shift is just linkage. The floor shifter like a indy should make faster shifts but I have shifted a col quickly.

Now will your little 3 speed from a /6 work with a 440 probley not with out mods.

-
Back