Engine Specs on car for sale

-

67Signet

Smoke and chaos stunt coordinator
Reaction score
please help me here, In my are there is a 68 dart for sale, this car is a back halfed car and Im looking at it for that reason, body is nice too!
It does come with a motor but i was wondering if you could help break down its value here for me versus getting a crate.
The motor is a fresh 318 bored .040 over with Keith Black 10.25:1 piston, stock rods with ARP bolts and a stock crank. A 509 Mopar performance purple shaft was stabbed instead of the stock cam. The heads are a rare set 340 “X” heads that have been slightly ported. A Weind tunnel rams sits on top with dual 450 Holleys and a Hillborn scoop. A Mallory distributor supplies the spark. Doug-Thorely headers will get rid of the exhaust into a set of glasspacks that bolt to the headers. The motor has been rebuilt

Let me know what you think guys.!

Thank you
Bruce

Sorry, but I can't let this one pass.
What exactly do you want to do with this car? Are you going to drive it occasionally, or are the only highway miles it sees are on the trailer to the strip or show? The only engine Chrysler ever produced for racing was the 426 Hemi. All the rest were intended to produce brute torque for street cars at low RPM (below 5500). This is the basic difference between Mopars and everything else. Have you ever tried to live with a HiPo 289 or a Z/28 302? If your engine doesn't produce enough for ya, put in a bigger one. Why do you think they are so easy to swap? If you want to go racing, get a Hemi. If you want to have a fun driver, pick your thrill level and install displacement to suit.
The combo you described sounds so Chevy to me that I want to puke.
To answer your question, sell what you got and buy a crate motor cause what you got will be a royal PITA to live with.

grumpuscreature said:
Sorry, but I can't let this one pass.
What exactly do you want to do with this car? Are you going to drive it occasionally, or are the only highway miles it sees are on the trailer to the strip or show? The only engine Chrysler ever produced for racing was the 426 Hemi. All the rest were intended to produce brute torque for street cars at low RPM (below 5500). This is the basic difference between Mopars and everything else. Have you ever tried to live with a HiPo 289 or a Z/28 302? If your engine doesn't produce enough for ya, put in a bigger one. Why do you think they are so easy to swap? If you want to go racing, get a Hemi. If you want to have a fun driver, pick your thrill level and install displacement to suit.
The combo you described sounds so Chevy to me that I want to puke.
To answer your question, sell what you got and buy a crate motor cause what you got will be a royal PITA to live with.

The 340, along with the 426 Hemi, was also designed with performance application in mind. You will not find 340's in trucks or 4-door sedans from the factory. All other Mopar engines 273, 318, 360, 383, 400, 413, 426 wedge, 440 all started out as passenger car(non high performance) or truck motors.

As I said .... this car is for sale now, so I am looking at the purchase price... it breaks down to motor and car (as tranny is bad,) I am looking to find the value of the motor because i plan to sell it unless it would make a good motor even if I changed the setup but , I wanted to know the motors value as it does effect the price and i want to bargain around this.
As for the Hemi statement I am a mopar guy and have been for years but I find that a 340 or 360 in a good car can do battle effectively racing Chebies Fords and alike.!
i am also a 383 fan and a 440 fan.
Not everyone has a Hemi ...and a small block mopar came in (most A-bodies) ..ummm it is an a body site!
My buddy has a Hemi in his 70 Cuda' convertible and I love the car! but My 440 pistol grip Cuda would still be more suitable for the street, (Where I take pride in driving/showing my cars most,!
i agree the hemi is KING for full race and even pro street etc. but thats a given. Im looking at this car for a good pro street combo for my daughter turning 18 Jan 22nd and Graduating High school in Feb 5 months early!, This requires that is driver show and mopar go!
A 360 sano crate maybe a stroker! it would be scheduled as a 2.5 yr project
I hope this is a better explanation of the request.
I would like to know
whats the motor worth/ what kinda power would it reach ?and how reliable>? should I keep it/off it...
id like to hear from
Anyone wanna donate a Hemi to my kids project we are open!!

Rumblefish what do you think?
7duster3?

If your looking at more show and little street driving, you should be ok. The 509 cam lives between 2800-6200 RPMs. Not daily driver material unless you have a a lot more cubes. The tunnel ram is good for high RPMs too but a little overkill for 318. You can achieve top end performance on a 318 @ 6200 RPMs with a 750 cfm carb. But it LOOKS good if you are looking for that pro street look. Also, the true compression may not be 10.25:1. The large combustion chamber of the 340 head over the original 318 will drop the compression slightly, possibly between 9-10. Again, if you want to look good only, the pieces are there.

Any Mopar guy probably knows that this is not a good performance combo for the 318. You can get power out of 318s but this isn't the way to do it. What you should do is sell the 318 short block ($500-$600 would probably be a fair price for a rebuilt 318 short block) and purchase a 360 short block to use with the heads and tunnel ram. If you can afford the 402 short block that Mopar makes, it would probably be better. You can use more cubes to take advantage of the tunnel ram setup. Will probably need bigger cam too.

The engine combo looks to be a high 12 sec combo at best, normally aspirated. The chassis on the car looks to be built for something way faster with 5.88 geared ford 9" spool. That's a steep gear for a 509 cam.

I assume this is what you are looking at?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/249220762.html

Others on this forum can get a better idea of what you are looking at to help out.

Its not one of the worst deals I've seen, fair at best? Good luck on whichever direction you choose.

That is what I was looking at and I am thinking stroker for this car if I can work out a deal. I wasnt to thrilled about the 318 set up and thats why i needed an opinion, I really appreciate it and my kid does too
what a great CLUB!
thank you A bodies only!!

Yeah...that car is just screamin' for a nice SB stroker.
:burnout:

Your thinking of giving that car to a young person??

I hope that you have a trailer to tow it to the drag strip.

I would not let someone drive a car with a tunnel ram on the street,
with the traffic nowadays.

Does the seller have another hood, and the stock intake/carb setup?

ntzrlATHGWpOI3r1x2viq9Qrtr1N.jpg

KJLzuudRHhm0arQX8oA9Xh72cSLg.jpg

How about one of these cars instead??

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/250453500.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/247294048.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/250450728.html

This is a 66 Valiant 2dr...
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/249262496.html

eX3lVcbbcVM39bDawInVOG8HV4m7.jpg

Well, I am buying this car, and already have a guy to do the switch to 3:70's and an airgap manifold for her, all I have been doing lately is working my *** off to pay for this car, what a great project! I wondered about the cam but we will see what happens once she is paid off!

Well, I am buying this car, and already have a guy to do the switch to 3:70's and an airgap manifold for her, all I have been doing lately is working my *** off to pay for this car, what a great project! I wondered about the cam but we will see what happens once she is paid off!

I know this is an older thread but I always wondered who picked this car up. Stroker, do you have any pics of it? How is it coming along?

-
Back