Engine Swap on A108?

-
On the trans I would refer to the factory service manual. Read that over and decide if you want to tackle it, I install the engine from side doors, and then install the trans. Mocking it up and possibly adjusting the block to clear everything and maybe allow more room up top (when the doghouse lid is closed) by dropping the block downwards and sorting/modifying the brackets to do so etc would maybe allow intake and carb spacer/insulators/air cleaner options. May have all the room needed with those brackets and mounts, but me? I’d mock it all up to see what room there was

I'll definitely read the service manual about the transmission.
When you bring it in from the side doors (not passenger door, right?) and drop it into place, do you then use a floor jack from below to maneuver it around? I've never mated an engine to a 727 transmision and thought there were some aliment issues.

I have a 2 ton cherry picker from Harbor Freight and it was at it's limit with the engine block coming in from the side doors. I can't image it being very easy with a fully dressed engine to bring it in that way. I might even consider adding the cylinder heads after installing the engine.

I'll definitely read the service manual about the transmission.
When you bring it in from the side doors (not passenger door, right?) and drop it into place, do you then use a floor jack from below to maneuver it around? I've never mated an engine to a 727 transmision and thought there were some aliment issues.

I have a 2 ton cherry picker from Harbor Freight and it was at it's limit with the engine block coming in from the side doors. I can't image it being very easy with a fully dressed engine to bring it in that way. I might even consider adding the cylinder heads after installing the engine.
Need the hoist boom extended furthest out and it’s a straight forward process. Did mine solo, just need to keep the rear of the engine propped up once the mounts are bolted up in order to bolt up the trans. Kind of a trial by error ordeal otherwise

Need the hoist boom extended furthest out and it’s a straight forward process. Did mine solo, just need to keep the rear of the engine propped up once the mounts are bolted up in order to bolt up the trans. Kind of a trial by error ordeal otherwise

That gives me some confidence! I think I had too much slack in the chain.
Well....I think I know what I'm doing tomorrow.... I'm going to mock it up with just the block and trans after I figure out how to swap the trans tail without making a huge mess! Monday my van goes to the body shop so I really need to get this sorted out this weekend.

-
Back