Engine VIN number stamping’s can you show me examples?

-

4mulas

Fixem'up
Reaction score
Hello, hoping people can post me examples of their block VIN number stampings at the oil pan rail area in order to help me determine if a car I’m looking at is legit. It Looks slightly ‘off’ to me so far.
I’m looking at 1971 car
Especially ones built at Hamtramck
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hello, hoping people can post me examples of their block serial number stampings in order to help me determine if a car I’m looking at is legit. It Looks slightly ‘off’ to me so far.
I’m looking at 1971 car
Especially ones built at Hamtramck
Thanks in advance!
Why don't you post the ones from the vehicle that you're looking at? That makes more sense.

Why don't you post the ones from the vehicle that you're looking at? That makes more sense.
I will after a while, I just want to see for myself what the norm is first and see if an ‘anomaly’ I’m looking at is consistent with the one I have.. don’t want my picture to influence others comments.

The engine 'serial number' on a small block in on the drivers side front face of the block. It notes displacement, fuel type, date of final assembly, etc.

If you meant the 'partial VIN', it will be on the passenger side of the block down low, right above the oil pan rail.

Posting pictures of what you can see will only help others answer your question better.

The engine 'serial number' on a small block in on the drivers side front face of the block. It notes displacement, fuel type, date of final assembly, etc.

If you meant the 'partial VIN', it will be on the passenger side of the block down low, right above the oil pan rail.

Posting pictures of what you can see will only help others answer your question better.

thanks, edited post. Looking for VIN stampings as examples to compare too. Especially 71 Hamtramck plant.

I have looked at thousands of these......

If you do not want to post a photo in public, you can email me through the contact page at HH and I will give you an honest opinion.

Clear, in focus photo needed.

One of the transmission VIN is great too.

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Contact Page

Here is a 71 vin

Vehicle Vin #.JPG

The vin number will be stamped on the upper radiator support and under the trunk gasket on the drivers side of the car. This along with the vin number on the dashboard will tell you if the car is numbers matching to the engine.

0A0B47DE-B002-4BF5-94DE-27AF79760CD8.jpeg
Here it is
No B designation and it looks to me that the 1’s a super deep, and the last 4 digits are smaller in height?

Last edited:
Blurry and covered in paint.

Can you clean the pad & get a better photo?

Any signs that the area was machined other than the factory machineing?

Iirc factory had a visable blade cut pattern, large spacing of the cut teeth

Keep in mind that the digits are used at different rates and get replaced with new ones when worn too much.
When they did this the digits were ganged together in a single holder and stamped at once. The alignment and wear pattern should match the transmission.

This shows the two ghosted together (top)
Engine (middle)
Transmission (bottom)
You can see there are differences in the digits across them but they match between the engine and transmission
2014-05-26_000.jpg

Alan

They should be in a straight line, they used a stamp holder something like this.
As you can see mine is off because the stamp holder was at a angle but all are the same.

Vin big.jpg

Vin type stamp.JPG

no. Not mine so I can’t go scraping it
If you are paying a premium for a numbers matching car i would be scraping or at least sanding the location.

I would also be pulling up the trunk weather stripping, the front rad support might be more of an issue as it is many times under the coolant sticker.

If you are paying a premium for a numbers matching car i would be scraping or at least sanding the location.

I would also be pulling up the trunk weather stripping, the front rad support might be more of an issue as it is many times under the coolant sticker.
Tag, rad support, dash vin all match. Numbers trani long gone. That’s not my issue. It’s just that the vin on the block look fishy

-
Back