Engine will not idle now , stalls out

-

22dog22

Reaction score
Have a 69 Barracuda, with a 318 , auto trans. back story , over the winter had a Battery Tender brand charger on the battery over the winter like a have in the past, [ battery cables where still hooked up ], come earlier this year appears that the Battery Tender over charged the battery and took out my voltage reg. Had to replace battery and voltage reg. charge gauge reads 14.7 volts ,all appeared ok, today just wanted to take car to a cruise night , started up fine, drove a short distance noticed just was not responding when you gave it gas, I knew I was low on fuel and was in tank from last year so I stopped and filled up, drove car some more seemed a little better, drove about 15 mins was part way to cruise, every time I came to a traffic lite it ran real rough the closer to the cruise location it would just stall out at the traffic lights , I also noticed that with the radio on , I was hearing a static wine that seem to change with RPM, I am running a Procomp Electronics pc 7000 dist. along with there pc91 high output coil, did not have any problem with this set up last year, I am thinking is it possible that some how the dist. electronics got messed up like the voltage reg. did.?? or could it be a fuel problem ? when car stops running at a light it will start right up ?

Yup, carb... This crap they sell as gasoline doesn't do well in carburetors... It turns to varnish & plugs passages rather quickly.. Use to be you could park a car for years & the fuel system would be fine.... These days a couple months can be a question mark...

Thank you both Murray and 1 Wildrt, for your thoughts. I was thinking Carb which is a Holley 4 barrel , from what I was told by a rep. from Holley carbs, the numbers on the unit worked out to be a 600 cfm unit used on a Ford product. have the carb about 10 years had a fresh rebuild when I picked it up at the Mopar show in Carlisle Pa. What throw me a curveball was the static sound out of the radio, But I really think you are correct.

Any thoughts if I should try to rebuild this unit [ not sure if I can still get a rebuild kit] or go with a new unit and which Brand would you use, When I use the carb. calculator it worked out to a 650 cfm unit for my 318, which has Keith black pistons, #167 .030 over, and a comp cam 20-223-3, xe268h hydraulic lifer, with ITT headers.

I think I may have found my problem, took air cleaner off and seen that the cables for the auto trans kick down and acc. cable [ Holley carb. with a Lokar kickdown cable] where at a turned angle I moved the mount plate that holds these cables and the main carb. throttle plate snaped shut it was being help open by the cable being jammed because of the misalignment, there is a adjustment screw with a lock nut so I adjusted it and tighten the nut, I also had noted that I had rough trans. shifting these could be all related, it is raining hard here so I can not take car out to see if that corrects my problem. will keep you updated.

carb 2023-07-15 001.JPG

carb 2023-07-15 002.JPG

-
Back