Epic Ride to See Black Sabbath in Irvine, CA

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
Yep, I almost died a few times but it was worth it to see a very special person and see Black Sabbath. Great venue and VIP EVERYTHING including parking. Box seats with tables, VIP Club access, free buffet, etc. Bill Ward was replaced by Tommy Clufetos but the rest was original with The Ozz, Geezer Butler and Tommy Iommi.

2176 miles on a modified KZ1000 just to see a girl, I must be out of my mind. We've known each other for 34 years. The pics 4 and 5 are "Then and Now". We were both 14 in the first pic. Adding pics as I go along of the trip and the bike.

Attachments

• IMG_1413.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1416.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1418.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Laura and I 80.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 142
  • Laura and I '13.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1363.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1362.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 146
Yes, I mounted my trusty steed and headed West to see my first love. Perfect timing as Vegas saw more rain in two days than they've seen in two years. Got caught in a mudslide right before Grand Junction and was completely soaked in mud and rain on the first leg. The new Olympia jacket kept my torso dry, but my boots were flooded. Second leg I hemmed and hawed about turning back. I had Laura on the phone and finally just said "fk it, I'm going". Stayed in Boulder City, NV (I don't gamble money, Vegas holds no allure to me) at a historic hotel and found some cool public art and the nearest biker bar. Bike was filthy, but I thought of it as theft protection... ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1370.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1369.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1368.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1367.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1366.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1364.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 134
Woke up to more rain in NV, but drove out of it through the Mojave Desert. My God what a desolate and HOT place, but at least I didn't get hammered by rain, and then finally into San Diego. Got to see the USS Midway and the Star of India docked right in the bay. This is where I stayed...

Attachments

• IMG_1378.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 140
My time there, other than the BS concert in my biz. ;) On the way back, the weather was against me with all it's might. First wave of rain in the Mojave, it felt great and I dried out in minutes. Second wave, pretty intense, but it sure beat riding through the Utah mountains in 50 F weather plus rain. Third wave was hell with hail. 2" of standing water on the highway, pounded by hail, no shade or shelter... But ever smell the desert during and after a rain? It smells like a spice cabinet, beautiful!

Sun comes out and now it takes 30 miles to dry out but damn, was it hot. Gas up in some desert town (where the picture was taken) and it had to be 130 F. Haul *** to Boulder NV thinking of a big beer and clean sheets.

Attachments

• IMG_1385.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1383.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1382.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1379.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 134
Thats bad *** man! Me and two buddies rode (not near as far) to see Rush play. Made a weekend of it. My steed of choice was a lowly KLR650 though. All back roads.

Thats bad *** man! Me and two buddies rode (not near as far) to see Rush play. Made a weekend of it. My steed of choice was a lowly KLR650 though. All back roads.

KLR's Rock, Do everything, go everywhere bike and easy to fix on the road. Buddy has one and I've rode it, almost like riding standing up.

Yep, I almost died a few times but it was worth it to see a very special person and see Black Sabbath. Great venue and VIP EVERYTHING including parking. Box seats with tables, VIP Club access, free buffet, etc. Bill Ward was replaced by Tommy Clufetos but the rest was original with The Ozz, Geezer Butler and Tommy Iommi.

2176 miles on a modified KZ1000 just to see a girl, I must be out of my mind. We've known each other for 34 years. The pics 4 and 5 are "Then and Now". We were both 14 in the first pic. Adding pics as I go along of the trip and the bike.

I got to see Black Sabbath back in around 1980 at the Oregon Jam. It was an all day / night event, including Molly Hatchet and Blue Oyster Cult. Good times were had!

Bighammer, The young picture of us was 1979/1980.. I saw BS shortly thereafter and if IIRC (crazy days) I think Ian Gillain from Deep Purple was the singer. I'm amazed I have a few brain cells left.....

Oh, no doubt it was raining on the way out of Nevada,,, I thought my bike and I had enough... But what choice did I have?

Attachments

• IMG_1388.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 124
Great pics and story Joe!! Tell your female friend(didnt see her name) that she has aged gracefully and looks stunning!!

Up to Utah I think! sure enough, I dry out until Beaver UT and got hit with a storm from hell.. I have much more to say about this whole deal, but I'll say here.. It sucked. Was chased by clouds all the way to Green River..

Chased by outlaw clouds.. Damn it, I-15 has a 80 mph limit and I was, ... moving out in triple digits. Old fk, 47 on a 36 year old bike, trying to beat the storm.

Ah... I'm racing thinking "No way can weather move East as fast as I am!" I was wrong... Mother nature will getcha....

Outlaw clouds...

Attachments

• IMG_1397.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1399.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1401.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1403.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 116
I was blasted full face by everything from driving rain, hail, mudslides, and even a sandstorm... on a an old bike by an even older rider.. Why? Apart from the apparent insanity, it was for a woman.

Attachments

• Laura and I 80.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 119
Finding peace and enjoyment, is quite the contrary. I would have done ,the same myself.

I.... Just got off the phone with ms Laura... we thought this was just an old get around and see if the chemistry worked still after all these years..... 3 freakin decades later and yeah.. I was figuring it was a fluke, first love, first time. Nope, still there with a vengeance. I'd preferred "we" felt nothing, much less complicated...

-
Back