epoxy primer

-

OCswinger

Reaction score
Hey all,

not sure if this the right forum for this but, I think I'm about ready to shoot some epoxy primer in the engine bay. My question is do I need to get down to bare metal before I can lay down the primer? Thanks guys

Jon

Hey all,

not sure if this the right forum for this but, I think I'm about ready to shoot some epoxy primer in the engine bay. My question is do I need to get down to bare metal before I can lay down the primer? Thanks guys

Jon
31 yrs of car painting says NO. It does not need to all be down to the bare metal. Most epoxies are made to go over bare metal but also paint. Don't "hose" your first coat put it on light as that could wrinkle the edges of old paint especially if there are several layers

You can coat epoxy or urethane primers over old paint. I personally would not, but you can. It won't craze the paint like spraying laquer on old enamel. But you would really be better off just sanding it down to the factory primer, at least.

thanks guys. I am thinking of knocking down the old stuff with a wire wheel. Whatever stays, stays if it lifts, it goes. Thanks again. Any tips would help this first timer.

-
Back