eq magnum head valve springs

-

chris100

Reaction score
I just ordered new eq heads and called jegs to see what kind of springs I need for a bigger camshaft. I was told that the ones fully assembled had the same as stock and that they where designed or machined to be able to use a bigger cam with stock springs is this true. Im on an very small budget and need to reuse as many parts as possible.

I just ordered new eq heads and called jegs to see what kind of springs I need for a bigger camshaft. I was told that the ones fully assembled had the same as stock and that they where designed or machined to be able to use a bigger cam with stock springs is this true. Im on an very small budget and need to reuse as many parts as possible.
Did you order the heads,complete or bare,and if complete: Who from?....

Odds are you need this kit. Valve Spring Kit - 550 MagnumMopar is a member here, send him a PM he should know.

Did you order the heads,complete or bare,and if complete: Who from?....
Ordered them from jegs the guy kinda hinted on exchanging them for assembled not gonna happen. He asked a supervisor and told me about my stock springs working etc.

Ordered them from jegs the guy kinda hinted on exchanging them for assembled not gonna happen. He asked a supervisor and told me about my stock springs working etc.
Fair enough,consider post 3 ,the best option...Might consider a cam from him,as well... He gets dirt cheap prices,& good products(Racer Brown,dows his grinds,IIRC...)

I have a set of those springs on the heads I bought (all new and never run) that I will probably be.swapping out b/c I'm likely giong larger than .550 with the cam. If you'd be interested in them let me know. Best

CE

I have a set of those springs on the heads I bought (all new and never run) that I will probably be.swapping out b/c I'm likely giong larger than .550 with the cam. If you'd be interested in them let me know. Best

CE
the eq assembled heads ? If so what did they tell you the max lift was

With no mods the assembled EQ heads are good to about .515 lift with either the 1.92 or 2.02 valves.
Anything over that demands the Hughes retainer kit that gets it up close to .600 and there are longer valves and aftermarket rockers available that can put it way up there.
I used a .501/.512 cam and it was HIGHLY recommended that I use the special retainers to eliminate the chances of a retainers hitting a stem seal.

I also used the Hughes (310lb open) valve springs because the ones that come stock on the EQ heads are pretty weak as referenced on Magnumswap.com

Talk to our member magnumopar and he can set you up with the springs, retainers and locks that will be safe.
What you definitely don't want is for the retainers to smash the stem seals (at over .515 lift) or the springs not pulling the valves closed at higher RPM's and letting the pistons and valves introduce themselves to each other.

At our lift we could probably get away with the as assembled heads, but it was just too close for comfort to me.
I didn't really want to spend the money on the better stuff on my daily driver either but just couldn't risk it. :D

Last edited:
With no mods the assembled EQ heads are good to about .515 lift with either the 1.92 or 2.02 valves.
Anything over that demands the Hughes retainer kit that gets it up close to .600 and there are longer valves and aftermarket rockers available that can put it way up there.
I used a .501/.512 cam and it was HIGHLY recommended that I use the special retainers to eliminate the chances of a retainers hitting a stem seal.

I also used the Hughes (310lb open) valve springs because the ones that come stock on the EQ heads are pretty weak as referenced on Magnumswap.com

Talk to our member magnumopar and he can set you up with the springs, retainers and locks that will be safe.
What you definitely don't want is for the retainers to smash the stem seals (at over .515 lift) or the springs not pulling the valves closed at higher RPM's and letting the pistons and valves introduce themselves to each other.

At our lift we could probably get away with the as assembled heads, but it was just too close for comfort to me.
I didn't really want to spend the money on the better stuff on my daily driver either but just couldn't risk it. :D

The springs, retainers and keepers in the kit I posted above is the same ones Hughes sells, magnummopar just sells them for a better price.

The springs, retainers and keepers in the kit I posted above is the same ones Hughes sells, magnummopar just sells them for a better price.

Exactly. :D
The different retainers are what makes the difference in available lift.
The retainers actually sit just above the bottom of the locks (you can see the ends of the locks sticking out the bottom of the retainer)
This brings the retainer underside up higher on the stems for better seal to retainer clearance, and therefore more lift.

Last edited:
Are the EQ heads a shaft mounted rocker or pedastal? (Guess I dont know the difference? I see some people putting rockers like chevys and fords (Stud mounted?) on some magnum builds...Can someone educate me.

Are the EQ heads a shaft mounted rocker or pedastal? (Guess I dont know the difference? I see some people putting rockers like chevys and fords (Stud mounted?) on some magnum builds...Can someone educate me.

Pedestal, la are shaft. The oe mag stuff isnt too bad. Ive got the stg 2 mag mopars with oe rockers, seems like anything below 500 hp shouldnt be super sketch.

Last edited:
Also there are a ton of Chevy pedestals and rockers of all types that fit the EQ heads.
Even bigger retainer bolts for the pedestals if you drill and tap the original EQ holes.

Also there are a ton of Chevy pedestals and rockers of all types that fit the EQ heads.
Even bigger retainer bolts for the pedestals if you drill and tap the original EQ holes.
This is what,I did... I demand an adjustable valve train on even mild hot rod engines.. It is expensive.. Crane stud/guide plate kit 150.00-160.00 ,Comp cams aluminum roller rockers,160-ish.., custom push rods,(Comp) 110.00... lash caps,(stock 8mm Empi VW ,got the valve sweep perfect....) I wanted it,& paid for it.. Ouch,on the prefer ences..

-
Back