erratic camber

-

tyler_s18

k-member
Reaction score
ya you read it right lol. on my 75 scamp the passenger side camber is erratic. when i bought it i didnt notice the tire leaning way in probably cuz it was fine at that time. after i drove it home(drove fine a little loose but straight) and around the shop a little a buddy said hey your tire is leaning in. he was right its partty bad to. so we inspected it to see whats wrong and it looks like it was in a minor wreck a while back. the bumper shocks are fully compressed, the "shock tower" was bent down, and there are dimples where the bump stop was pushed down to far and the upper mounts for the upper control arm is bentish lol. we got the strut tower back where its supposed to be or close at least. thats what the shiney paint is. now when i drive you can feel the front tire go positive to negitive camber and you can see it when you follow me or so ive heard. what else could be moving or bending? also the tabs for the eccentric bolts are bent flat. i dont think they should hold the uca in place just place it when you align the car but still worth pointing out. thanks tyler

heres some pics

100_1083.jpg

100_1084.jpg

100_1085.jpg

100_1086.jpg

100_1087.jpg

Looks to me that uper a arm need to be pulled out towards the fender that woud give you positve camber

Your lower bushings or bushing sleeves in the K member have issues. If the bushings are good then the shafts are probably moving in the K member and need the sleeves re-welded. You can tell when the lower control arms move too far out because the adjuster arms start eating into the frame rails.

........U CAN SEE IN THE LAST PIC THAT THE FRONT OF THE CONTROL ARM HAS SLID IN QUITE AWAYS........also the rear is in to far, bolts could be loose............take it to an alingment shop...............they can tell u if somethings out of spec....dont drive till u get it fixed, its an accident waiting to happen......kim........

Upper ball joint mabby. Pull the tire and shake the upper controle arm and see if it has any play in it. Looks like it is time for a rebuild.

UCA 2.JPG

Looks like the problem is in the area where the cam sits. Take it to an alignment shop like others have suggested.

UCA 2.JPG

actually it looks like the cam bolt is loose and has torn the mount it goes into. The hole for the eccentric bolt should only be the size of the bolt and the eccentric makes the changes needed by pushing on the tabs that were flattened. I think you should get that taken care of very quickly to avoid a bad situation. From that pic the hole looks to be on the large side?

the bolt is tight and was tight when it was at correctish camber. you can see in the pic it slid tword the motor. not turned but slid. it also flatned the tab that the eccentric moves in. im thinking the k frame thing might be pretty possible. your talking about where the bolts go into the frame? those holes and bushings? i saw someone with aluminum spacers/bushings there instead of rubber. pros cons?

dont worry lol its not on the road. i drove it home from the shop. maby 3 miles and went way slow and had the passenger side aimed off the road all the time lol.

It shouldn't "slide" at all those holes should only be the same diameter as the bolt that goes through it.

I wouldn't bother with an alignment until you at least rebuild that front corner (new bushings).

But I would let an alignment shop evaluate what it going on.

I think you have multiple issues going on there.

It doesn't take an alignment shop eval to see that. Those mounting hole are shot. The bolt that goes through has d flats for the eccentrics so they don't turn and once you loosen the bolt the eccentrics are supposed to move the upper control arm in or out against the flat that are flattened.. Those arms need welded and redrilled to even start the fix. If the other side is stll good you can use that for template and see how it is supposed to work. Alot of times those ecceentric bolt will rust and freeze in position and what seems like tight is just rusted threads. I had the same issue. My alignment guy told me I needed new eccentric bolts and told me to bring it back when I got them. Sure enough they were tight as hell. You could still turn the eccentric though because the bolts were frozen in place. I had to cut them off and nstalled new bolts. 4 years later it's still tracking and wearing perfectly.

the holes are fine. and i cleaned up the ecentric bolts with a wire wheel. they didnt move and the uca didnt move. something pushed it back. or put extra pressure and it moved back. what you are seeing of the hole is just the front of it. the eccentric is pointing straight at the motor. i will try to get a better pic of that tomorow.

in your previous post you said "it slid toward the motor".....If the holes are fine, that would be impossible unless your bushing is competely gone.

I think you need to look again at the UCA bushings. I had the same issue with my car, where it would not hold proper camber and the wheel was always leaning in. My UCA bushings were totally totally shot and had actually started to tear the metal in the sleeve where they sit in the control arm. So I would not only check the bushings but make sure their spot in the control arm is good as well. I replaced my entire control arms and it solved my problem. It was frustrating because if I jacked the front end up it would bring the wheel in line, then once it was down the road a few feet the wheel was leaning again. And you could feel it sort of "lay over" when making a left turn. Definitely not good for drivability.

-
Back