Ethanol and Mopar Pumps....Trouble ?

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
SO, I restored an old F-100 Pick-up for my daily banger and tow vehicle. All well and good. BUT................

The 67 Cuda sat in the garage for about 2 months and wasn't started or run. It has a brand new carter carb, new tank and sender, new lines, new fuel pump, and the motor was just rebuilt. It used a 5/16 clear fuel filter.

The car started to run out of fuel and die...(ran 1000 miles after rebuild with NO troubles)..Very embarrassing when you're on a main highway.......Let it sit for just a bit, and it would start again.......but very quickly die when you tried to go down the road. Classic fuel pump symptoms.

I had to have it towed and fixed.......new pump, and a new filter....away we went......so far with no trouble. BUT, the pump still had decent pressure when tested, and held a vacuum against my finger......and the filter was tested and taken apart, and nothing found pluggin it.

I guess my question is this: Apart from the remote possibility that I have a bunch of crap in the tank that drew up to the screen and choked it (VERY remote.........), could the stinking Ethanol eating away at the pump have anything to do with this? Is it possible for the pump to "seem" OK, but not work right "under pressure" due to the alky eating away at it while it just sat there?

Yes? No?

Seems more likely to me that the ethanol softened your rubber hoses before the pump and made them collapse under suction. That was my problem with my 69 Dart years ago. If you replace, use the better "fuel injection" type hose which withstands ethanol better.

I CANNOT BELIEVE IT................

Had to leave the car at Church tonight.........NOW it's got plenty of gas, and NO SPARK!!!!!!!

I'm close to settin' this car on fire............

Ignition is usually easy and cheap to upgrade. If SB or RB, there is a ~$45 new distributor with integrated HEI module available (skipwhite on ebay), but would need later Magnum type plug wires (cheap at JY). Also, Pertronix, Chrysler electronic, Crane XR700, other HEI designs, ...

Already got it all........All electronic for the last 8 years and not a single problem........

Not sure if it's gone, or maybe just a bad connector or something somewhere............

-
Back