Ever been a hair from a lower second and cant get it ?

-
Also,the car is heavily gutted by me .Inner doors ,wipers, heater,carpet ,horn,front bumper,etc are all gone .I realise that race wheels out back would be a plus ,but im kinda into the Nostalgia look ,so i opted for steel wheels out back ...

You sound like you're down on the car. I.E., you're asking for help, and you are not replying to our responses thoroughly. You know that getting a problem figured out requires detailed responses. You asked a detailed question, we need detailed replies!
If I lived near you, I'd go with you to the track, as I'm sure plenty of others would.
AGAIN:
-Tire pressure (front and rear).
-Check rear brake drag THROUGH the suspension travel.
-It sounds like you have it pretty light. Good.
-Timing?
-STUMBLE? Hell, think about how much e.t. there could be in that!!!!
-Alignment; have them do it at one inch above static, per the old Mopar manual.
-Ram air air cleaner?
-Water pump set up? RUN IT COOL!
-I'm sure I'm missing other points. Oh, traction bars?
-Stall speed. Some cars work better leaving at idle, some at a pre-determined rpm. But that STUMBLE could kill you one way or the other.

Come on, that thing will run!!

You sound like you're down on the car. I.E., you're asking for help, and you are not replying to our responses thoroughly. You know that getting a problem figured out requires detailed responses. You asked a detailed question, we need detailed replies!
If I lived near you, I'd go with you to the track, as I'm sure plenty of others would.
AGAIN:
-Tire pressure (front and rear).
-Check rear brake drag THROUGH the suspension travel.
-It sounds like you have it pretty light. Good.
-Timing?
-STUMBLE? Hell, think about how much e.t. there could be in that!!!!
-Alignment; have them do it at one inch above static, per the old Mopar manual.
-Ram air air cleaner?
-Water pump set up? RUN IT COOL!
-I'm sure I'm missing other points. Oh, traction bars?
-Stall speed. Some cars work better leaving at idle, some at a pre-determined rpm. But that STUMBLE could kill you one way or the other.

Come on, that thing will run!!
Im not down on my car at all .

It doesnt run as fast cool .It seems to run the quickest at 190 degrees.I have tried it at 160 ,170,180 and it doesnt run as fast .It was that way before i swapped cams in it.I have made almost 100 passes in the car since i have owned it and it just doesnt like to run at less than 190.

I have a velocity stack on the carb thats sealed to a scoop on the hood.I fabed all this up a few years ago and gained almost a tenth when i sealed it to the scoop .

I have tried flashing the convertor from idle ,foot braking ,and T-braking it at many tracks over the years and in every track condition you could imagine.For sum reason it just plants better off the T-brake.

The traction bars work on this car despite what poeple think at my level.Like i said earlier im getting the front tires off the ground and the starter guy that was standing two feet from my car on every pass told me it was dead hooking .I have tried it with just clamped stock springs and it rolls the rearend up .I could go to SS springs or Caltracs ,but thats even more $$ to spend when im dead hooking without them to gain .005 and hit my goal.Doesnt seem very economical .

I will find and fix the stumble in the carb no sweat on that .

I am with you on the alignment and brake drag thing and its first on my list to reolve .I really wasnt asking for advise on this thread ,i was just stating how close i got to my goal ,but didnt reach it that night.Thought it was kinda ironic and wanted to share it with others was all ...

My brothers 440 dart had that stumble for a second right after launch when it launched hard. We figured like you did that it may be exposing the rear main jets as the fuel sloshed back. We raised the rear float a little and the stumble went away, leading us to believe we were correct. The easiest way for you to prove it is do as we did, raise the rear float. Also, a lot of great info in this thread, and weight loss goes a long way!

Im not down on my car at all .

I really wasnt asking for advise on this thread ,i was just stating how close i got to my goal ,but didnt reach it that night.Thought it was kinda ironic and wanted to share it with others was all ...

Thanks for all the info. Seems you have a lot of it covered. I guess when a thread like this is posted, advice is sure to follow! We like to help. :D

Have you ever run more rear tire pressure? How much in the fronts?

Maybe it runs quicker when it's hot because it's too lean to run quicker when cool?

Any more weight that can come out? Some craigslist lite wheels sure would put you there. If it's small bolt pattern, that would make them harder to find, though.

Ever played with collector length?

Maybe block off the radiator, to keep the air out of the under hood area? Or, lift the back of the hood an inch or so to relieve pressure under there.

Good luck with it. You'll get it, for sure.

I'll stop now!!

I was dealing with a stumble off the line every pass last night.Im thinking i may need jet extensions in the secondaries now.Right on the stab of the throttle it would bog then go like a raped ape.I was 60 foot'in mid 1.5's last night with the bog (which is what it did before the motor work).I know it had to cost me a bit as well.I tried to get that 6.99 slip with the bog ,since there wasnt anything i could do about it at the time ,but it just wasnt in the cards .Im gunna do sum carb work and give it another go .Thanks for the tips and good wishes ...

If it's stumbling on the hit, you may be giving it too much fuel from the accelerator pump (not enough is a possibility too). You can play with the adjustments of it and see if that goes away.

Edit:
I just read the post about the bog when you let go of the brake.

You may need more converter if you bumped up the size of the cam. It could have killed a little bit more of your low end torque. Just a semi-educated guess, though.

Weight is the easiest way,cost is nothing.Bet I could get 50lbs out of it in a day.Guzzi Mark

That stumble might be due to the extreme cold. I know the last time I ran my car when it was around 50° F I had that issue. Making sure the car is fully warmed up helps, but I still had stumble issues as the temp dropped into the 40's. Just a thought.

With my old motor, i was stuck on 11.09. I thought this one, might go around 10.4 but i've got it down to 10.1, so i'm chasing the 9's now. Bit of weight out and a 1050 dominator. Lol.
I picked up .15, from a 2" supersucker, only cost me $60
I think your speed is marginal, so you need to sort out the stumble.
good luck
Mick

With my old motor, i was stuck on 11.09. I thought this one, might go around 10.4 but i've got it down to 10.1, so i'm chasing the 9's now. Bit of weight out and a 1050 dominator. Lol.
I picked up .15, from a 2" supersucker, only cost me $60
I think your speed is marginal, so you need to sort out the stumble.
good luck
Mick

did you install that supersucker inside our outside the car? and how much weight to you have to account for??!?! :glasses7:

Do it like the guy back in the day let some oil out lol. Try a fuel change or.a mixed octane. Shift points change with ur cam duration. Like if ur going through the traps at a lower rpm than ur shifting

-
Back