Ever mount speaker in defrost hole??

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
Will a 6x9" speaker fit directly into the rear defrost hole on a fastback ?
I don't have a speaker lying around to mock up so I thought maybe one of you had done this before. If it fits I will cut another hole in the driverside panel.

The de"fog" holes in the package trays on '73-'76 Dusters and Dart Sports I have worked on were also drilled for 6"x9" speaker mounting. I don't know what you mean by "driverside panel", but my package trays have always had a factory hole for a speaker on the left (driver) side.

There is an oval 6x9" hole in the pass. side wheel well trim panel. That is where the blower motor mounts in a Barracuda fastback. I'm just not sure if it is the same dimension as a 6"x 9" speaker. You're 73-76 duster/dart should have an electric rear defrost , not the blower style. My 73 dart sport did.

I think that hole is a lot smaller than a 6x9 speaker. Perhaps a 4x10 or 4x8 might work. Most of the rear speakers I have seen mounted were put in the rear access panel.

My 65 Barracuda had an old oval speaker (real small magnet) on the passenger side rear deck area, in the same location as the defrost motor would be placed. Is that what you are talking about?

I'll measure it when I get home. But it sure looks close to 6x9 . This is on a 68 F/B, (there is no pkg tray in a F/B) but I've seen the same blower setups in the package trays of a-b-c bodied cars and they are mounted on the pass. side of the pkg tray (in what looks like a speaker hole) with the vent coming up thru the middle of the pkg tray.

I guess I could make an adaper of sorts, but it would be pretty slick if it fits the way it is !

I held a 6x9 up to the hole and it's almost exactly the right size. So I'll cut a
matching hole on the opposite side .

-
Back