Ever seen this one before?

-

Gag_Halfront

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of stuff break in a lot of interesting ways, but this one is new to me.

I have some ideas how to fix this, but none of them sound very good, and they all raise questions about how the door would close properly. :-/

DSC02141-1.jpg

DSC02140.jpg

That is a weak point, it's not all that un common, there are a few ways to fix that.

1) get a section from a donor car.
2) you can weld a 1/8" plate over top, and drill the hole (it don't look great, but it'll be solid).

3) Welding a thicker piece on the back side is the way to go, if you get a section from a donor.

I cut that out with a cutting torch. Then refabricated it back on with just a plate of steel. It was really easy. Or just take it to your local welding shop and they will do it for like $30.00

I have a good section I will sell cheap....measure how much you need and PM ME..............

mine isnt that bad but it needs attention, was actually going to make a thread about repairing it

Both sides of my '68 were apparently like that, but the previous owner had them backyard welded back in place with about a pound of welding wire each. The passenger side is OK, but there is slop in closing the driver side (it engages a bit before the door is flush with the quarter panel). Balls! I will probably cut them out and set them properly. Another day, another job.

Is that my car when it went to paint??LOLLLLLL

Damn mine looked exactly like that. The other side was was riveted by the previous owner. Body shop welded in new metal. Looks PERFECT now.

-
Back