Ever try to duplicate a vinyl top with paint?

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
This was/is just an experiment to see how it works out over time. (probably get a real vinyl one later anyway)
I started with a mostly bare and rusted roof, wire brushed down and coated with Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator.
After that dried I went over it twice with a thick roller and very heavy coats of 1/3 Satin Rustoleum mixed with 2/3 Flat Rustoleum and kept rolling over it till the paint got nice and thick to cause the texture.

It has been a couple of days and it has some dust and melted frost puddles on it from being outside, so right now I'm afraid to touch it till it sets up good, as not to modify the surface finish.
(The stuff on the top is where the frost melted this morning.)

Surprised how well it came out. :D

Attachments

• cornerclosel.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 268
  • cornersmall.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 249
  • wholeroof.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 231
That looks pretty dang good.

Have been running textured paint instead of a vinyl roof for over ten years in the south. Still looks good and fools most of the people All the time.

I like it. Especially how you kept the trim on to break it up. Thumbs up!

Thanks everyone.
My car (this 73) had a black vinyl roof also, but someone over the years took it off before the metal was damaged and painted it white.
They also left the trim, and I actually like it a lot better than I would black, vinyl or both.

Attachments

• dart1a.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 213
The factory sometimes produced contrast painted tops with the vinyl top trim. I know an E-body Cuda, blue with white painted top, with documentation. I'd think that would be better than vinyl, any day. No plastic, no seams, no rust trap.

careful - her car really IS going to be nicer than yours!! cool move BTW, like it.

The same person does all the work and mods, so I'm ok with it. :D
RustyRatRod Rob says it already is cooler, but there is WAY more attention to modifications and details on my car. (so far anyway) :D

The wife says she likes my car better, so maybe I should trade her. :D

The factory sometimes produced contrast painted tops with the vinyl top trim. I know an E-body Cuda, blue with white painted top, with documentation. I'd think that would be better than vinyl, any day. No plastic, no seams, no rust trap.

That's what I was thinking well, that and it would only cost another 20 bucks to redo it.

I've wondered about this myself. I kinda like the look of a vinyl top. I was thinking of using 3M rocker panel coating. It is compatible with automotive paint and it has a nice texture.

-
Back