Ever watch a master at work?

-

moparmandan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I did this afternoon. So by default I had decided to do the front glass myself. Cuz nobody would touch it. Don't know why I didn't think about it before, but it dawned on me to call the local Mopar restoration shop. I asked if they could do it or if they knew anybody. Without hesitation they said TC's Glass of Volusia County. Only guy they trusted with their glass. So I called TC yesterday. He came out today.

He said my prep looked good, said I bought good glass and gasket. He installed the trim clips. He did his prep, laid the gasket out, used the butyl rope. Sprayed it with some of that foamy glass cleaner. Wiggled the glass in the bottom. He said now watch this, I'm going to make this look easy. But remember this is 25 years of experience working here. No lie in 5 minutes had the glass in one side using one of those plastic sticks. Open hand wopped it about three times. Walked around to the other side zipped it in. Wopped it again. He said where's your trim?

Amazing to watch. Money well spent. Super nice guy that loves old cars. BS'd about my car for a while, showed me pictures of his projects. Absolutely, highly recommend him if your in Central Florida and not in love with the idea of doing your own glass, like I was. Call TC.
20190625_170454.jpg
20190625_193201.jpg
20190625_201749.jpg

I found a guy like that here in north GA (Dawsonville) Southern Auto Glass.

He came to the house and let me help put the front and rear FB glass in. He made it look easy! He had been over before to replace the WS in my 2000 Dodge Dually. He was more excited to put the front and rear glass in the fish than I was to help!

Sounds like they're cut from the same cloth. Car guys enjoying working on cars.

Sounds like they're cut from the same cloth. Car guys enjoying working on cars.

Agree. He attacked the Dually with what I would call a sawzaw and scraper blade. When he did the fish, first thing he said was the fences and gaskets were great after resto and he took a hundred pics along the way in what seemed hours only to be about 30 minutes or so!

Left me one of his bone tools as well!

Course the windshield was a new AMD. The rear is still Original and was stripped clean before he showed.

Lol. That's cool. TC asked if he could take pictures of my car, also. I said this Ratty ole thing? He said this thing is amazingly original and awesome. He had crawled under it and looked at the frame rails, etc. This guy does some high-end stuff. I had fun.

Left me one of his bone tools as well!

Course the windshield was a new AMD. The rear is still Original and was stripped clean before he showed.
Okay these guys must be brothers. TC did the same thing and gave me some of his butyl rope caulk.

This is all he used to pop both front and rear in. He told me there was no need for sealant with the prep done. No leaks in four years. Not a daily but has seen its share of rain!

E93EACCD-9F41-4AF9-9340-B00973532A66.jpeg

I did this afternoon. So by default I had decided to do the front glass myself. Cuz nobody would touch it. Don't know why I didn't think about it before, but it dawned on me to call the local Mopar restoration shop. I asked if they could do it or if they knew anybody. Without hesitation they said TC's Glass of Volusia County. Only guy they trusted with their glass. So I called TC yesterday. He came out today.

He said my prep looked good, said I bought good glass and gasket. He installed the trim clips. He did his prep, laid the gasket out, used the butyl rope. Sprayed it with some of that foamy glass cleaner. Wiggled the glass in the bottom. He said now watch this, I'm going to make this look easy. But remember this is 25 years of experience working here. No lie in 5 minutes had the glass in one side using one of those plastic sticks. Open hand wopped it about three times. Walked around to the other side zipped it in. Wopped it again. He said where's your trim?

Amazing to watch. Money well spent. Super nice guy that loves old cars. BS'd about my car for a while, showed me pictures of his projects. Absolutely, highly recommend him if your in Central Florida and not in love with the idea of doing your own glass, like I was. Call TC.
View attachment 1715355237 View attachment 1715355238 View attachment 1715355239
That is cool. Love talking to other car guys. Your car is looking good man! It's almost complete! Did you get the heater box back yet?

My preferred method is the rope trick. Thin nylon clothes line. Put rubber on glass. Put cord in grove of rubber 360 degrees around with a little overlap. Place glass rubber and cord over lip on window frame. Pull the cord into the car both sides at the same time. Rubber will just flare and pop right into place. Done it dozens of times in an old ford truck.

That is cool. Love talking to other car guys. Your car is looking good man! It's almost complete! Did you get the heater box back yet?
Thanks pal!
Picking up the heater box in Carlisle and having my buddy up there ship it back for me. Don't trust Airlines to check it. LOL

Oh ok cool. When is the Carlisle? July 15? What way are you going? What direction you taking?

Oh ok cool. When is the Carlisle? July 15? What way are you going? What direction you taking?
Yeah weekend of 7/12-14. I'm flying in to Philly and staying with an old high school and Navy friend. As it turns out the car might have been ready. But that would be one hell of a shakedown run. LOL

Last edited:
Ok I was gonna say if you go down 95 then 77/81 north we could meet up for lunch. But if your flying that'll be difficult haha

Yeah weekend of the 15th. I'm flying in to Philly and staying with an old high school and Navy friend. As it turns out the car might have been ready. But that would be one hell of a shakedown run. LOL

For you and other FABO folks.

Drop by and say hello! I will be in the R row I think based on my stickers received! B7/B5 FB 69 383 fish with White Sports stripe and Centerline wheels.

Ok I was gonna say if you go down 95 then 77/81 north we could meet up for lunch. But if your flying that'll be difficult haha
Yes it would. Next year............
Already marked the vacation days and planning my route. Gonna take the whole week off.

For you and other FABO folks.

Drop by and say hello! I will be in the R row I think based on my stickers received! B7/B5 FB 69 383 fish with White Sports stripe and Centerline wheels.
I'll do it!

I was holding on to my old gaskets because I read somewhere that the new gaskets weren't sealing properly. Maybe that has changed since then? You mentioned that the installer said you bought and good gasket and glass, can I ask what brand gasket and windshield you purchased?

I was holding on to my old gaskets because I read somewhere that the new gaskets weren't sealing properly. Maybe that has changed since then? You mentioned that the installer said you bought and good gasket and glass, can I ask what brand gasket and windshield you purchased?
The gasket was a Precision. He said it's a good one. He mentioned his favorite, but I don't remember the brand, sorry. The glass was a PGW which he said was fine. Think he prefers AMD, but said for a daily, not nessasary. Good luck!

Last edited:
Does the name of gasket "Steele" ring a bell for the installers favorite gasket? Just happened to find their product.

I have precision for both windows.
Will be doing them myself.

-
Back