Ever won money?

-
i did once but i had to run before i could collect due to the POPO. it was like 100 bucks, not much

Are we talking on the street, or on the track? Both, but more (a LOT more) on the street.

Yup won money on the track and it looks like i'll have to pay taxes on it too...
so much for winning.

TF

My Duster was adorned with "Money Winner" stickers inside on both doors and I still have about 20 I never put on. So yeah, you could say I've won money. Not as much as I put into the car though.

i,ve won a few money stickers and have a nice trophy.Guitar I hear ya. Too many money stickers showing is sheer intimidation.lol

Back when I track raced I used to win round money and contingency money But last summer I made $300 in 3 street races - Hope to find bigger fish this summer

Back in the 70's I won alot of money street racing a
73 'Cuda.
Mostly 25 bucks at a time.
That was alot of money then considering I worked
3rd shift in a plastic injection molding plant.
I made $2.20 an hour and brought home about
$90.00 bucks a week.:toothy7:

Way back in the late 80's when street racing was common. I won a few bucks back then. Usually around $50 at a time. I was never a high roller as I never had a ton of cash. My old 340 duster surprised a few people in its day. My six pack super bee almost killed me back then on a few occasions. It liked to jump sideways in second gear.

In the late 70's I had a brackit car that I raced in Co. Springs it was
the points champion in its class went to braket Nationals that year. broke out big time. at Bandimeres mile high track ran a 10.15 on a 10.32 dial. That year I won on almost a weekly bases. about 360 a night I figgered I made enough that yr. to pay for car and racing. I beleave the total was around 8 k. Good Luck this season .I'm going to lakeland this Sat. night I hope I can win in pro/super/pro. they pay 100% entry +300. from track. :toothy7:

I won a good deal of money racing with the NMRA. Purse was pathetic ($350) , but back in the day contingency was pretty darn good at $150 per, and you could usually have 20 - 30 or so contingency items.

It never covered expenses, but nothing spends like prize money!

Yup won money on the track and it looks like i'll have to pay taxes on it too...
so much for winning.

TF

Save the receipts for the parts and such you bought for the car. If you want to get really anal,you can keep track of fuel and other consumables too. Usually the receipts outweigh the winnings, and you can declare the prize money to be a "hobby loss". If its not a lot of money, people just keep track of the checks and the parts reciepts if case of an audit and don't file it on their taxes. Apparently with an overwhelming difference between the racing "income" and the expenses, the IRS just waves it by.

Way back in the late 80's when street racing was common. I won a few bucks back then. Usually around $50 at a time. I was never a high roller as I never had a ton of cash. My old 340 duster surprised a few people in its day. My six pack super bee almost killed me back then on a few occasions. It liked to jump sideways in second gear.
The street-racing scene around here in the 80s after Mission closed was pretty wild. Viking Way, 200th by the Rose & Thistle pub & Superport were the real hot-spots. Latimore & Harvey Rd. & beside the freeway in Chilliwack, but those were not really money racing. But Viking Way and Superport were pretty heavy. Most of the real "players" were well in the tens. Lotta 11 second cars.

Since we're on money races, has anyone seen any of www.1320video.com Cash Days videos?? One year there was one bad 67 0r 8 fastback fish in it called "Brown Sugar" gorgeous car, did pretty well and I think was small block power with spray taking down turbo and other spray cars, there's a clip on youtube, search street racing $10,000. I'd link it but I'm at school and youtube is super slow here

The street-racing scene around here in the 80s after Mission closed was pretty wild. Viking Way, 200th by the Rose & Thistle pub & Superport were the real hot-spots. Latimore & Harvey Rd. & beside the freeway in Chilliwack, but those were not really money racing. But Viking Way and Superport were pretty heavy. Most of the real "players" were well in the tens. Lotta 11 second cars.

I was back in Calgary in those days. The infamous bull **** corner was alive and well back then.

Did alot of street racing for money when I was back in high school in the late '70s. I never won a dime in a Mopar, but I won my share in my old GTOs.

I won a good deal of money racing with the NMRA. Purse was pathetic ($350) , but back in the day contingency was pretty darn good at $150 per, and you could usually have 20 - 30 or so contingency items.

It never covered expenses, but nothing spends like prize money!

Save the receipts for the parts and such you bought for the car. If you want to get really anal,you can keep track of fuel and other consumables too. Usually the receipts outweigh the winnings, and you can declare the prize money to be a "hobby loss". If its not a lot of money, people just keep track of the checks and the parts reciepts if case of an audit and don't file it on their taxes. Apparently with an overwhelming difference between the racing "income" and the expenses, the IRS just waves it by.
sounds like you have same tax man i do.i had to go in with my tax man wen we left thay owd me money never did get it!!!

I have told stories about my old racing days both on the track and the street. It was a pretty good chunk of money over-all. I certainly never declared any street race winnings on my taxes and, come to think of it, not the track either. Shhhhhhhhh! When I look back, I don't think the winnings came close to what it took to buy, build and maintain the cars. The D/MP car won $6,000 the first weekend out in a Triple Crown deal. Nothing else even came close. My S/G Corvette was the most expensive car I ever had and never won a dime with it due to breakouts. Check my thread "Dis my ride!!! for the racing stories and the winnings when you have time.
Pat

My Duster was adorned with "Money Winner" stickers inside on both doors and I still have about 20 I never put on. So yeah, you could say I've won money. Not as much as I put into the car though.

LMAO,
there it is then, got a few of those me self, but to the point,

"Racing is an addiction only cured by poverty" :laughing:

heard it said once
"Fast cars are a dime a dozen",
"Really fast cars are 3 for a quarter"
"Theirs no room at the top with out sponsors"

Pulled a $1000.00 first place win once at Irwindale Dragstrip, a few years back at The Manufacture's Cup Race. Then, I won some money at this years March Meet NHRA race. Nice to get a small amount every once in awhile.

-
Back