Every time i hit the blinker my radio shuts off for exactly 3 seconds

-

perko

Reaction score
73 duster with a 318. Like the title says the radio turns off for 3 seconds every time i hit the blinker. I found the problem, just thought id' put this up here if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

I just put up with it for a while because I didn't want to chase down electrical gremlins. Then i started having charging problems. Turns out the alternator was crapping out and also killed the battery. Whatever low voltage situation was going on was doing something screwy with the radio-blinker combo. The battery was just bad enough that it wouldn't take a charge from the new alternator, but just good enough that it held a charge from a battery tender.

Does your radio only play the song Chandelier?

If so..........

One, two, three, one, two, three, blink
One, two, three, one, two, three, blink
One, two, three, one, two, three, blink..........

Reasons why my radio is the twin pipes that stick out from under the rear bumper and the open element air cleaner...

I'd say test the battery and replace it if needed then put a voltmeter on the running car at a high idle and everything on (max load). You should be getting at least 13.8 vdc, no more than 15 vdc if the alternator is working properly.

73 duster with a 318. Like the title says the radio turns off for 3 seconds every time i hit the blinker. I found the problem, just thought id' put this up here if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

I just put up with it for a while because I didn't want to chase down electrical gremlins. Then i started having charging problems. Turns out the alternator was crapping out and also killed the battery. Whatever low voltage situation was going on was doing something screwy with the radio-blinker combo. The battery was just bad enough that it wouldn't take a charge from the new alternator, but just good enough that it held a charge from a battery tender.

Our cars have blinkers?! And radios?! Tell me more of these things. Here I am driving around with no blinkers and a bluetooth speaker in my car so I can jam out to Jojo Siwa with my daughter while cutting people off.

-
Back