Excessive pedal travel/"dead spot"

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I took a 60-mile trip just the other day to Arvada to meet a guy about buying a 360 engine core and some other random parts, and he told me that my master cylinder is bad and I have air in the brake system (and I should also rebuild the front suspension which I DON'T doubt). I explained to him how the brake pedal goes about 3" with little resistance, then it sort of hits a "wall" and my brakes start engaging. I thought this was normal for the car, but he said I need a new master cylinder and to bleed my brakes. Do I need a whole new master cylinder or could I just bleed the brakes and fix the problem? BTW it is a 1970 Plymouth Duster with factory manual front disk brakes, NO power brakes. Thanks!

P.S. Another guy we visited up in Golden told me I have early disk brakes which are rare/ worth a lot and expensive to maintain. Is this true? How much would they go for?

Hmm, how do I do that? I think that might be it, if I play around with the parking brake and brake pedal it firms up quite a bit.

-
Back