Exhaust end studs in head

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
Do the threaded studs in the end of the head (the ones that block the water) need to be studs? Can they just be regular bolts? My rebuilt engine doesn't have them, so I'd like to just use bolts if possible. Or do they need to have loctite or some kind of sealer and therefore it would be better to use threaded studs?

Yup, you can use bolts instead. Sometimes the studs are nice though cause you can hang the manifold or header on them to help line up the other holes, just make sure to use some sealer on the bolts.

Yep you can take them out and use bolts, I did and have no problems.

Thanks. How long should the bolts be? Standard header bolts? Or longer?
Also, when I go to change the header gaskets, and I remove these bolts, will I have antifreeze everywhere?

Thanks. How long should the bolts be? Standard header bolts? Or longer?
Also, when I go to change the header gaskets, and I remove these bolts, will I have antifreeze everywhere?

They should be at least 1/4 inch longer than the thickness of the exhaust part you are putting on there. 1/2 inch is better...

i always use a little high temp gasket sealer on the threads . i always use studs on the four corners to hang my gaskets and exhaust. it makes things a little easier

Yes. If you use bolts in the place of the studs that go into the water jackets you'll have to drain the coolant to remove those bolts without making a mess.

studs go in like bolts. You can use vise grips on the center (where there are no threads) if they are a little tight or you can also put 2 nuts on the outside end and tighten them together so they don't turn on the stud and then use them to tighten the stud in a bit...

About 5 yrs a o or so, I took my SB cuda out in the early spring. While (ahem) blowing the carbon out of the engine, there was a funny noise and I started to see steam escaping from under the hood. Luckily I wasn't very far from home so I got it back in the garage w/o ia problem. Turns out the last header bolt on the driver side head had blown out. Since it was under the brake MC and right by the steering coumn, there was limited access. I took the opportunity to remove the heads and take a look inside the engine. Something I wanted to do anyway cause you never know what you have on an old car unless you did it yourself or can trust the previous owner. Anyway the outermost holes for the exhaust manifold/header go into the water passages and the threads in the hole that blew out were completely gone. So I heli-coiled it with no problem and it's been fine ever since.

But I DID install studs in all 4 outer holes, sealed them, and bought stainless nuts to use in those locations. My whole point is there is minimal usable thread length available there because the hole goes through a somewhat thin wall into a hollow cavity. And it's not an ideal situation to keep screwing and unscrewing screws into such a fragile tapped hole especially because you are liable to get cooling leaks as it wears. Just one extra tug on the wrench could easily strip it out.

Thanks Kosmickuda, you just answered my question. When I had my heads redone, the put a helicoil in the right front exhaust stud and I wondered if it would leak.
Thanks

-
Back