exhaust in the cockpit

-

freshayr

Reaction score
I am getting exhaust fumes inside my 68 fastback. It seems to be the worst with the window down and if I really nail it. I have plugged all the holes in the thrunk and have trunk seal on. I have holes cut in the back panel for speakers with no speakers so I even tried to cover up those with plastic. My exhaust is tight with no signs of leaks. I have tail pipes on as well. Any ideas where this is comming from? What is the "vent slot" on the passenger side, just below the rear fastback glass for? The pass side has it but not the drivers side. I did plug that tooo buy the way.

A lot of times if the pipes don't go far enough past the back of the car it
will get caught in the vacumn of the air passing around the car. And will
get sucked in through any small opening in the back of the car.
Check your tail pipe length.

how far out should they be? they are about 2-3 inches behind the bumper now. They look good. if they stick out further I think they would look funny.

It could be your hood. There should be a rubber seal at the back of the hood to seal to the cowl. Its there to keep engine smells from passing from the engine compartment through the cowl vents into the car from the heater vents. check it.

don

thanks dusterdon....that's the type of info I am looking for. I also determined that my trunk seal is not tight. I can slide a piece of paper in there. It's a brand new seal but I need to do something to get it tight.

-
Back